Gen 1 overheating problems. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 09-17-2014, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gen 1 overheating problems.

Hi everyone! New to the site.I have an 04 zx10,original owner-love the bike.I cannot ride it if the temp is over 75 and I'm stopped for more than 5 min. at a light.I've done a lot to try to fix the prob. but haven't fixed it yet.Any info would be appreciated.Thanks.Heres a list of what I've done.1.Muzzys aluminum fan.2.Fan bypass switch.3.New T-stat.4.Flushed rad.with prestone.5.Using Engine ice coolant.6.Took rad. to rad. shop to test flow-its ok.6.Checked wtr. pump-its fine.I don't want to replace rad.-very expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-17-2014, 12:43 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Welcome to the party!

So what are the other symptoms? Boiling the coolant in the overflow tank? How hot is it actually getting on the indicator? Leaking out anywhere?

Sounds to me like it's not holding pressure and that's usually due to a faulty radiator cap.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 20 Old 09-17-2014, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks.I forgot to mention,I replaced the rad cap also.It's not leaking at all.I'm not if it's boiling over into the reserve tank.The temp. got up to 234 the other day when I was stopped at a light.-not good.It's fine as long as I'm moving.I think I may have to do more flushing of the system?Maybe some the water passages are blocked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 09-17-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Left some words out.Really the only symptom there is,is when the bike is stopped at a light and the outside temp is 70+.It heats up within 5mins.The problem has been around for probably 5 yrs. or so.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-17-2014, 09:30 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

You could pressure test your cooling system with tool (free after return) from autozone to ensure 15psi is maintained. You could also try removing t-stat and running without one. Have you ever had silicate dropout occur with the green antifreeze that Kaw uses being used way too long. Looks like white or gray fine sand and will severely plug the radiator and cooling system. It takes a few flushes to remove it. Look in radiator and in water pump for white powder. You could also test coolant for combustion gases ($10 kit autozone) which tests for a cracked head or head gasket failure. HTH
post #6 of 20 Old 09-18-2014, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Yes,there is that white powder on and in the radiator.Those tests you mentioned sound like good ideas,I'll try those.I appreciate the info!Thanks a lot.By the way I see your name is DaleC.Mine is DaleB.interesting.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-18-2014, 04:34 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky55 View Post
Yes,there is that white powder on and in the radiator.Those tests you mentioned sound like good ideas,I'll try those.I appreciate the info!Thanks a lot.By the way I see your name is DaleC.Mine is DaleB.interesting.
You need to do more flushes until powder is gone. One guy did 4 to clean his. Take cover off water pump to see impeller and powder. Keep flushing until it is clean. Google for "silicate dropout". Your cooling system flow is plugged up. Also clean the powder sludge from your coolant overflow bottle. Sludge always collects in the bottom. HTH

Last edited by DaleC; 09-18-2014 at 04:57 PM. Reason: add info
post #8 of 20 Old 09-23-2014, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

That makes sense.I will try that.Thank You for the info,It will be good to not have to worry about overheating issues.
post #9 of 20 Old 09-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I had an 05', also a friend had an 05' i rode with very frequently, he had a Muzzy power package with a dyno tune and was always overheating. I had a generic tune from PC3 with similar upgrades.... and never overheated. Have you had yours tuned? If not you could have it tuned, it may be running a little lean....
post #10 of 20 Old 09-26-2014, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

No I haven't had it tuned.I'll keep that in mind.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in