Gen 4: 2011-2015 Cam problems - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-17-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Question Cam problems

Hello everybody. I'm brand new here and all that great stuff and ive recently came across one strange problem with my 2012 10r. I took my bike to my local kawaski dealership and normally I don't let them touch my bike based on problems I had before with them doing half work on my previous bike. Anyway bike went in to get valve adjustments and out of curiosity I took the bike to another shop to basically backtrack the work that was done to see if anything was actually done.

Anyway buddy calls me up with some bad news. He tells me my cams are shot to hell. The lobes etc was just ate up pretty bad on the bike. I asked him how that could've happened and he was telling me lack of oil or possibly dirt got on them or something of that nature. He also asked when my valves was last adjusted and I told him about 3000 miles ago. Bike now has a little over 34k miles on it and I always get them adjusted around 15k range. He then tells me that there is no way the shop could've done valve work and not saw your cams and not report to me about the problem. Which tells me they took 600 bucks from me and all they did was install my vortex levers.

There was another problem my bike was doing months after the bike got out that shop. The bike would make this crazy hiss sound and then shut off. Bike wouldn't fire back up till a few seconds to a minute later afterwards. I will upload a video on youtube for you all to see first hand in little bit though to get a visual point of it.

Anyway my ultimate question is has anybody with a gen 4 ever had cam problems? I'm the type of rider that don't ride hard either or anything in that nature. Done one track day and only street raced the bike about 8 times and the bike is 5 years old. It hardly saw 13rpms The kind oil ive been running in the bike was fully synthetic motorcycle oil. Also ran T6 in it twice and recently changed that out and went back to regular motorcycle synthetic oil. Guy at the shop was saying kawi make soft cams. In fact here's the chat from the shop I'm having problems with. This is what they said..

Talladega Cycle Sales
Chris, Keith has spoken with Bebe about this bike and he told Keith that he has seen that kind of wear previous on Kawasaki ZX10's and that the cams on those bikes are soft.

If that was the case wouldn't there be a recall on the matter just like when that oil recall was around? Cause that is a factory problem and most likely everybody with a gen 4 would've had such problems right? Especially if you the type that rides hard and doing all kind or track days. This happened to me and I basically treat my bike like a cruiser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-17-2017, 01:26 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Have you seen the cams? If the cams have lost a lot of profile I wonder if you might have noticed any performance issues? I wouldn't expect cams to wear out in 34k miles of riding?

If the cams are in poor condition, hopefully nothing else is affected on the inside of the motor?
post #3 of 4 Old 06-17-2017, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Yeah ive looked at them. Performance felt strange time from time but didn't think a whole lot about it.. Which was the ultimate reason why I wanted to have a second look at the bike cause I was thinking maybe they forgot to do something while adjusting my valves. Which the bike was running pretty good up on till now. Let me get this video uploaded real fast and you all can have a look at it for yourselves. Hopefully the camera picked up on it good enough to see but its all scratched up on the end and a little bit passed it. In the middle its all smooth and then towards the other end it was damaged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-18-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
kawaski, zx-10r

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in