How to Install Helibar W/pics - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 02-18-2007, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

How to Install Helibar W/pics

I put the helibars on today. I glanced at the instructions when I got them and then lost them (my wife swears she didnt throw them away). Anyway, it's a pretty straight forward task, the biggest pain was the bolt under the top triple tree that joins it and the clip on.

Here's a basic example of what needs to happen for disassembly. You need a 36mm socket to get the steering head nut off. Dont be stupid like me and blindly use an impact wrench. I didnt put a rag under the socket and scratched the triple tree. Take the bar ends off and disassemle the switchgear and levers.

I got the right clip on bolt off the triple tree while it was attached to the fork. The left side was a bit more cramped because of the ignition switch. I pulled the triple tree off with the clip on attached and removed the screw (red arrow). There's loctite on it so it's a tad more work than it should be.

After I got it all buttoned back up, I tried to turn the bars lock to lock and turning left caused the throttle cables to bind. I took the housing off and ran the cables on the outside of the fork leg. I used a long wire tie and doubled it up through the tab on top of the radiator to keep them secure.

The arrow shows how I secured the cables.

This shows how high the helibars are. I dont have a comparison shot from the stock clip-on, but it's significantly higher and more comfortable.

I have to modify the position a bit because the right side throttle housing hits the fairing.

I got a good suggestion to use a straight edge across the forks to make sure the bars are straight.

A couple of inches doesnt seem like much, but its just right. The drop angle is reduced as well. They feel like dirt bike bars. Much less steering input is required now. I'll need a higher windscreen now, but that's ok. I plan on using my bike for more long distance trips and this is going to save my wrists.

Now I just need to find the right saddle bags. Hopefully this helps someone out. I figure it's good for those that pick up a used set of helibars off of ebay.

Kelly
'05 ZX-10R

Last edited by YSR50; 03-25-2007 at 02:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-25-2007, 02:06 AM
Administrator

Posting Frequency

Garage
Discuss this here: https://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33915

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
--Dr. Seuss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in