How to disconnect Exhaust Valve w/pics>>> - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 03-13-2005, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

How to disconnect Exhaust Valve w/pics>>>

Someone posted up asking how to disconnect the exhaust butterfly valve on the 10R so I thought I'd do a quick how-to with pics for the how-to section. I have no idea whether or not there are any gains or drawbacks to doing this so do it at your own risk and discretion. All I'm doing is showing you how to do it if it's something you want to do. I unhooked mine for a test ride and couldn't tell any difference except for it being a little louder below around 7K rpm. Didn't really feel any difference in power...

Ok, with the pillion seat/cowl off remove the filler panel that goes between the rider seat and pillion/cowl. Remove the two screws circled in yellow and just pull the panel out from under the rider seat...

Here's the actuator that operates the valve...

Thanks to sabersaw30 for this K.I.S.S. method. Looks like I made it a lot harder than it had to be. Saber suggested removing the bolt that holds the actuator plate on, pulling the plate and removing the cable ends from it. Works like a charm! With the pass. seat/cowl and filler plate off all you need is an 8mm socket (or wrench). Remove the bolt circled in yellow in the pic below, pull the plate off and take the cable ends out of it. You can put the plate back on or leave it off. As long as the cables aren't hooked to it the valve won't function.

I would suggest holding the actuator plate with something (channel lock pliers, your fingers, a big wrench, etc...) when breaking the bolt loose initially. I don't know if turning the actuator manually with the switch off would be harmful to it or not, but why risk it. And it will try to turn counter clockwise as you try to break the bolt loose the first time. Just FYI...

And here is how I done it...

The clip you see in this pic holds the cable sleeves in place. Remove the clip by inserting a thin blade screw driver or pocket knife where the yellow arrow is pointing and pry the clip away from the black base it hooks to. Unhook the cable the red arrow points to first. Simply pull the cable sleeve in the direction of the green arrow to get it out of the mount and then pull the cable around until it lines up with the slot in the bottom of the actuator plate. When the cable is lined up with the slot it will slide straight down and out of the actuator plate. To remove the other cable you have to turn the ignition switch on so that the actuator rotates around to give you some slack in that cable. Turn the key on and let the valve actuator stop moving, then remove the cable the same way you did the first one...

Here's a shot with the clip off and both cables unhooked... The valve actuator will no longer operate and close the exhaust butterfly valve. Just secure the cables to the subframe or something with some zip ties, or remove them from the valve and take them off the bike and you're done.

--
"Bottom line, when I'm on that bike, it's just me and God...And He better be holding on."- Stillie on SSB

Si vis pacem, para bellum...

El Diablo

Last edited by YSR50; 06-23-2005 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-13-2005, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Discuss this thread here:

https://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.p...239#post109239

--
"Bottom line, when I'm on that bike, it's just me and God...And He better be holding on."- Stillie on SSB

Si vis pacem, para bellum...

El Diablo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in