**WARNING** Possible BRAKE issue for many - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-22-2006, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

**WARNING** Possible BRAKE issue for many

Tonight as I was checking the brakes on my girlfriends 636 I noticed here CRG lever was contacting the double Banjo fittings and stopping the lever from coming the rest of the way in. When I started really looking in on this what I found was the little leg that activated the brake light switch was contacting the Banjo HARD! This is with aftermarket Galfer lines, but any aftermarket with DOUBLE banjo will cause this and it's worse with the CRG's or Pazzo's. I removed it and ground off the little leg untill it cleared and Presto her brakes are 100% better. I didn't notive this because I bled them with the stock lever and the little leg isn't nearly as large.

NOW on to my own 10R. Same set up except I have an 05 636 master with stock lever. I noticed that the little leg also contacted the double banjo when the lever was really close to the bar. THE BIG issue here is on the 10R it could have caused the lever to stick and cause a crash!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone with these lines needs to check for this and with the 10R that has the 636 master GO LOOK!!! it could save your life.. I had to grind the 10R as well... NOW I'm going to kick my own ASS for not noticing this sooner.. DAMN! ROOKIE mistake that could have ened really bad!! Guys go check
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-23-2006, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I don't have any pictures. But all you have to do is pull the brake lever in and see if it contacts the Banjo ends with the little leg that sticks down to activate the brake light switch. If you have switched to the 636 master on the 10R it most likely will hit once the lever is pulled hard to the bars mine did. AND on the 636 if you have CRGs or Pazzo's with aftermarket lines it will most likely hit as well.

That's a very tight spot ti try and get a picture and it wouldn't show up for shit. It would be next to impossible to get the correct camera angle.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-23-2006, 11:22 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

I have no such problem. However my setup may be different. I do have a 6r radial MC with 6r Galpher lines with 1 line having a 90degree bend and the other has a 45degree bend which gives plenty of clearance when or i should say if the lever traveled in that far.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-23-2006, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy
I have no such problem. However my setup may be different. I do have a 6r radial MC with 6r Galpher lines with 1 line having a 90degree bend and the other has a 45degree bend which gives plenty of clearance when or i should say if the lever traveled in that far.

BD
I have the exact same set up BD. I have Galfer lines for a 636 as well. I never noticed it on my 10 till I found hers on the 636. The 636 was bad due to the CRGs. My 10 was slight but it could have caused the lever to get jammed and locked in. Since I have 2 bikes sitting here and both have this issue I can only assume others may have it as well. The brakes worked on both bikes, but it was flexing the little LEG HARD on the 636. I had the CRG levers on the 636 with ZERO problems before the Galfers. That's why I didn't spend any time checking for problems.(again a rookie mistake.....always check everything) And since the brakes were already bled I never had the lever pulled that far in. The lever felt HARD and firm as hell. I thought this was a great feeling lever, but it was mechanically jammed against the banjos. Now that it's cleared it feels normal for a Kawasaki lever pull again.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-23-2006, 11:37 AM

Posting Frequency

could the diff be my Pazzo lever??

BD

post #6 of 9 Old 09-23-2006, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy
could the diff be my Pazzo lever??

BD
It could be BD, but mine hit with the stock lever. AND I even have the stop removed and the Banjo rotated away ever farther away than normal. It's the TOP banjo that the lever hits. Again this is with the 05 636 master and NOT the stock 10R master. Both these bike have Galfer SuperBike line kits for an 05 636.. BD don't you have a different brand of lines??
post #7 of 9 Old 09-23-2006, 12:47 PM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner
It could be BD, but mine hit with the stock lever. AND I even have the stop removed and the Banjo rotated away ever farther away than normal. It's the TOP banjo that the lever hits. Again this is with the 05 636 master and NOT the stock 10R master. Both these bike have Galfer SuperBike line kits for an 05 636.. BD don't you have a different brand of lines??
heck i done forget what brand they are well its either Galpher or Goodridge but either way i have no clearance probs.

BD

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0264.JPG
Views:	3184
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	37813   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0265.JPG
Views:	3177
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	37814  

post #8 of 9 Old 09-23-2006, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

BD............My top banjo isn't bent 90 degree like that on either set. I'm sure mine are both Galfer.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 02:15 PM

Posting Frequency

Discuss this topic here. https://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27407

BD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in