Gen 3 quick change clutch cover - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By medicbaldwin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-10-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Gen 3 quick change clutch cover

Looking for a quick change clutch cover for a gen 3 with multi-stage clutch.

'08 10R, Lime/Black
Flashed ECU, PC5,WBC, custom shift light, shifter w/co2, side winder, BMC race, lowered, stretched,-2/+4, velocity stacks, little spray, nos mini.....
MORE TO COME
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-10-2019, 11:08 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

There is a variety of cordless hand tools which to be honest are as fast as can be anyhow, depending on your budget, iv got one just pulls em straight out against the torque (which is only 12nm) and can put em straight back in on the same torque iv checked and iv checked and its never more than 1 nm out using a snap on torque wrench which i do when there is time, but also by the sounds of it your going to be doing this hot so the torques are all out anyways
post #3 of 9 Old 06-11-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I don't need the quick access because I'm lazy, I need it for the added distance from the engine to run a multi-stage clutch. Clutch has a hat that won't clear the OE cover.
michael4012 and Kawasaki Brad like this.

'08 10R, Lime/Black
Flashed ECU, PC5,WBC, custom shift light, shifter w/co2, side winder, BMC race, lowered, stretched,-2/+4, velocity stacks, little spray, nos mini.....
MORE TO COME
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-11-2019, 07:25 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicbaldwin View Post
I don't need the quick access because I'm lazy, I need it for the added distance from the engine to run a multi-stage clutch. Clutch has a hat that won't clear the OE cover.
Derrrrrrr sorry doc
post #5 of 9 Old 06-11-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Speaking of clutches. Has anybody used the EFM autoclutch, specifically for drag racing? Seems like a very affordable alternative to the hays without all the bells and whistles. It a slider with metal balls that centrifugally engage the clutch.

Tell me your experience with these. Good, bad or indifferent.

EFM Auto Clutch | The Auto Clutch Expert

'08 10R, Lime/Black
MORE TO COME
post #6 of 9 Old 06-12-2019, 09:55 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I would imagine that the tune-ability of that EFM clutch would not be up to what you need.... the benefit to the uber expensive Rock/MTC/Hayes set ups are the fact that you can tune the ever loving hell out of them...... though I suppose that is their drawback as well. ;)

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-12-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

At this point hays is my only option.
MTC discontinued the setup for a Gen3. Haven’t looked into rock, but I’m sure they’re not available either.
According to efm the lockup rpm and amount of slip are both adjustable.

'08 10R, Lime/Black
MORE TO COME
post #8 of 9 Old 06-13-2019, 10:27 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I'm in the same boat as you when I start looking for baskets... Hayes is the only non-used option I could find. Aside from the cost, though, I'm not mad about that... the Hayes clutch has so much function built into it. Want to run it like a standard clutch? Take the lock up arms out. Want a slider? Take the base/"hat" springs out. What a hand slider? Run wimpy static springs and tune arms to suit. Because you can use generic springs and weights you can set it up to just about ANY range you want in any configuration. It has proven quality and proven function.... the only two down sides being cost and complexity. If you don't understand how to set-up a clutch it would probably be a nightmare for the average Joe to do on his own. All the stories/reviews I've ever read fall in line with those observations. You don't bolt it on and go fast... you spend some time and a couple clutch packs getting it right.

The EFM looks really cool, but I doubt it has that sort of adjustability. Some, sure.... but I don't think it was designed with being able to tune in really tight 60' times. I think if it did that with the sort of accuracy that you need/want, they'd advertise that it could do exactly that.... and drag racers would be using them a lot more.... especially because they claim to have been around since the 90's.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

pretty much the same story a race buddy of mine told me. I was really hoping for a more cost efficient option, but, looks like that's out. I'll keep my eyes out for a used setup.

'08 10R, Lime/Black
MORE TO COME
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in