ZX636 Linkage swap - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-03-2010, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

ZX636 Linkage swap

I installed a ZX636 linkage on my 2004 ZX10r this week end and took some measurements. I have an Ohlins shock, which is sprung for my weight. With the stock linkage I had 10mm of free sag (No rider, bike only) and 28mm of total sag (With rider and gear). This was with my spring preload set at 5 turns from full stiff. With the Zx636 linkage and the same preload I have 20mm of free sag and 44mm of total sag (With the rider). Now if I crank the preload to Full Stiff I can get 13mm of free sag and 38mm of total sag. reading through this thread it was recommended to go one spring softer with this linkage change. What I am seeing is I may need to go one spring stiffer. Has anyone, at this time, tried this mod with what ever spring was on their bike with the stock linkage, and if so what was your feeling on how this mod worked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

When you say linkage are you talking about the knuckle that connects to the frame, shock and dog bones? And what year 636? I'm looking to do the opposite to a 03 636.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-04-2010, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Yes, knuckle and dog bones from a 2005 ZX636. There was a post, if you do a search you will find it, the 04 and 05 ZX10rs had a "progressive" linkage set-up. The 636 has a more "linear" set-up. What this did was make the initial shock travel on the ZX10r on the harsh side. Because of this if you tried to soften up the spring to do away with the harsh ride in the begining of the stroke, it would be to soft in the middle to end of the shock stroke. I have not been able to ride my bike with this set-up yet as it has been below 30 degrees here in New York. I will be tring this set-up this spring. I am just conserned about my sag, as it is greater now than when I had the stock linkage on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thats some good info. Much appreciated.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-24-2010, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

ZX636 Linkage and Stiffer Spring

After riding for about 1000 miles with the 05 ZX636 rear linkage I came to the conclusion that I needed a heavier spring on my Ohlins shock. As I wrote previously, with this linkage the sag was more than I had wanted. I called Ohlins and gave them my weight and sag with rider on the bike and told them that I was looking for 25mm to 30mm of total sag. The spring I had was an Ohlins 1091-31-95, and with that spring and the ZX636 linkage I had about 40mm of total sag with the preload wound up to full stiff. The tech guy I spoke with recommended a 1091-36-105 spring. This spring is two sizes heavier than the spring I have now. I installed the spring yesterday, 5/23/10. I was able to set the sag to 28mm with adjustment left if I ever wanted to stiffen the shock some more. I was only able to go for a short ride, as it started to rain, but from what I can tell the rear of the bike is much more stable and dosen't move around as much. The ride seams to be firmer but not harsh. How this will work with the stock shock and spring, I can't say. I will say that if you have an aftermarket shock and spring, this is defenitly worth doing. I will not be going back to the stock linkage, but if you do this mod you need to check your sag and probably need to buy at the least a heavier spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in