Gen 2: 2006-2007 ZX10R Starter Solenoid - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-02-2011, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

ZX10R Starter Solenoid

My 2007 ZX10R is giving me problems in that it just clicks way and just won't start. I tested the battery and it has adequate amount of juice - 12.94v. I tried to short the terminals on the relay and the engine cranks. I realize it is the starter solenoid and ordered a new one. I removed the seat and tried to extract the solenoid, but I just can't reach it .

If there's a video showing how to replace the starter solenoid, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-02-2011, 01:50 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangara View Post
My 2007 ZX10R is giving me problems in that it just clicks way and just won't start. I tested the battery and it has adequate amount of juice - 12.94v. I tried to short the terminals on the relay and the engine cranks. I realize it is the starter solenoid and ordered a new one. I removed the seat and tried to extract the solenoid, but I just can't reach it .

If there's a video showing how to replace the starter solenoid, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Just because it reads 12.9v at rest dont mean its a good battery. I believe each cell is 2.2v, which should be 13.2 at rest. test the voltage when you try and crank it over. if it drops (which i will bet my wooden nickle on that it does) below 12.6v when you hit the starter button...your battery is more than likely dead. id put the battery on a good trickle charger, or even take it to auto zone and let them load test it and confirm. Good luck!

Faster than a drunk snail on valium!

07 zx10r- stolen
New bike...07 GSXR1000..BMC filter, LOR slip on, 520 conversion with -1, speedohealer, pc3 custom map with xtre settings, Galfer superbike lines front, galfer sportbike line rear, shorty levers, Yami R1 throttle tube for 1/5 throttle, PAIR mod, exhaust valve gone, ecu flashed.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Did the relay solve your problems ? I have an 04 that is doing the same thing .
Yes I replaced the battery already and checked the ground , Just hate to buy an 85 dollar relay if that isnt the fix .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Most likely your starter is bad. Not the starter relay. Pull it out and have it tested. Will have to remove tank, air box and hose on thermostat to get to it. They can be rebuilt for around 80.00 bucks.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Its a track bike and was having a battery issue before , It was always on a charge , One track day battery wouldnt even turn it over , I got a new battery in it and it started once but not again ... Cant believe its the starter , Doesnt get that much use ....

No body has had an issue with the relay before ? Just the starter & Battery
post #6 of 10 Old 06-06-2011, 11:37 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trig10r View Post
Its a track bike and was having a battery issue before , It was always on a charge , One track day battery wouldnt even turn it over , I got a new battery in it and it started once but not again ... Cant believe its the starter , Doesnt get that much use ....

No body has had an issue with the relay before ? Just the starter & Battery
Does it bump start and stay running?

2005 ZX10R Track Bike With Way To Much Sh*t On It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 10 Old 06-06-2011, 11:38 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRider View Post
Just because it reads 12.9v at rest dont mean its a good battery. I believe each cell is 2.2v, which should be 13.2 at rest. test the voltage when you try and crank it over. if it drops (which i will bet my wooden nickle on that it does) below 12.6v when you hit the starter button...your battery is more than likely dead. id put the battery on a good trickle charger, or even take it to auto zone and let them load test it and confirm. Good luck!
What he says. Just because it reads good voltage at rest doesn't mean it won't fail a load test.

2005 ZX10R Track Bike With Way To Much Sh*t On It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 10 Old 06-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiryder89 View Post
Does it bump start and stay running?
Yes , Stay`s running all day if I let it but wont fire back up , Did once with a quick Key Hit starter it started but that was it ..never did it the rest of the track day
post #9 of 10 Old 06-07-2011, 12:17 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Sounds silly but all fuses check out??

post #10 of 10 Old 06-07-2011, 12:55 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Ya I checked everything again this afternoon for the second time .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in