Zx10r all of a sudden running rich and wont rev past 8500 under WOT - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 06-28-2012, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Zx10r all of a sudden running rich and wont rev past 8500 under WOT

I have a 2005 ZX10R that will not rev past 8500 under WOT and the bike is running rich, It did this all of a sudden just like someone hit a light switch, I have checked sensors and even replaced a few such as crank position, Cam position, and IAP sensor. I also replaced Plugs with no change. I suspect the bike wont rev past 8500 because it is running too rich being as when you get to that RPM at WOT it throws flames and it does black smoke below that Rpm. What would all of a sudden cause the bike too run rich. The secondary butterflys are working the Exhaust valve is not stuck the air filter is brand new so are plugs, I am stumped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-28-2012, 07:00 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy20241 View Post
I have a 2005 ZX10R that will not rev past 8500 under WOT and the bike is running rich, It did this all of a sudden just like someone hit a light switch, I have checked sensors and even replaced a few such as crank position, Cam position, and IAP sensor. I also replaced Plugs with no change. I suspect the bike wont rev past 8500 because it is running too rich being as when you get to that RPM at WOT it throws flames and it does black smoke below that Rpm. What would all of a sudden cause the bike too run rich. The secondary butterflys are working the Exhaust valve is not stuck the air filter is brand new so are plugs, I am stumped
Do you have a power commander? If so...unplug it from the harness...and see if it still runs like crap..sometimes they do go bad. Just to rule that out.

Faster than a drunk snail on valium!

07 zx10r- stolen
New bike...07 GSXR1000..BMC filter, LOR slip on, 520 conversion with -1, speedohealer, pc3 custom map with xtre settings, Galfer superbike lines front, galfer sportbike line rear, shorty levers, Yami R1 throttle tube for 1/5 throttle, PAIR mod, exhaust valve gone, ecu flashed.
post #3 of 33 Old 06-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

^^^ What he said. Sounds like your main injectors arnt kicking in.

PRESENT
11 ZX10R Track/Race
08 ZX10R - Track/Race (was a Ins write-off)
PLUS a few more.

PAST
Way to many to list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 06-28-2012, 11:09 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Well, the motor only needs 3 things to run - air, fire, and fuel. You've replaced the plugs and a bunch of sensors, but are not looking at the issue causing your problem, which is most likely fueling.

As stated, first check the Power Commander if you have one. The next thing would be to check the fuel pump for the proper output and pressure. Then move onto the injectors to be sure they are not clogged and spraying properly.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #5 of 33 Old 06-28-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I do not have a Power Commander, The fuel pump was replaced recently and the issue persisted, I do not believe that clogged injectors would cause a rich over fueling issue especially one that happened within seconds, Like I said it was like a light switch from one to the other, Clogged or clogging injectors would cause a lack of fuel in the engine, the bike is throwing black smoke and flames at higher rpms wich would mean overfueling
post #6 of 33 Old 06-28-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I do believe it is a fueling issuing but something more along the lines like a leaking vacuum line to the IAP sensor or cracked or leaking throttle body to engine boots causing The IAP to think its WOT throttle when its not, I ran a vacuum check on the system at idle and its only around 6 in HG which in a normal car would be low and would tell you vacuum leak intake side somewhere, Does anyone know what the Vacuum is supposed to be at idle?
post #7 of 33 Old 06-28-2012, 04:00 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
If the injector is sticking open, it could cause a rich condition. Are you smoking all the time, or just when it won't accelerate any further?

Vacuum should be 225mm +/-10mmHg.

EDIT: Posted Gen III vacuum numbers. Gen I is 225mmHg at idle

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Last edited by SkyDork; 06-28-2012 at 04:03 PM.
post #8 of 33 Old 06-28-2012, 04:06 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
I would do a fuel pressure check, and also make sure there isn't any codes.

The Truth
post #9 of 33 Old 06-28-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I would agree if the injector is sticking open it would cause problems but the bike runs fine up to 8500 and smokes when you accelerate, and when you get to 8500 blows flames. Everyone was talking clogged injectors which would be a lack of fuel, I doubt it is a sticking injector because at idle it doesn't smoke and the bike hits on all cylinders correctly up to 8500 and at idle, So it has to be something causing all the cylinders to run rich which is why I was implying vacuum leak somewhere, or something reading wrong causing the computer to think and run differently, and I do not have an FI light nor any codes.
post #10 of 33 Old 06-28-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I also have 43 psi fuel pressure, and a clean fuel filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in