zx10 retainers question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 01-17-2008, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to bodyglove
Question zx10 retainers question

ok the stock 04/05 retainers are made frome cast aluminum right ? people say there junk !!!!! and the stock 06/07 retainers are titanium right ? can i use the 06/07 retainers in my 05 , any body know ?????????????????????????????????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 01-17-2008, 06:05 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyglove View Post
ok the stock 04/05 retainers are made frome cast aluminum right ? people say there junk !!!!! and the stock 06/07 retainers are titanium right ? can i use the 06/07 retainers in my 05 , any body know ?????????????????????????????????????
06/07's are NOT Titanium, they are sintered Aluminium and are upgraded from the 04/05 part#s. So buy the 2nd Gen retainers for your first Gen.

As for Titanium Retainers I called EVERYONE looking to find some and no one had any. APE asked me why I wanted TI since the stock ones were so good. Further when I talked to Richard Stanboli at Attack Performance he told me they were running the stock retainers in their Superbikes and they work fine.

I have never like Aluminium retainers myself, but there the only game I know of at this time.

I have read where people stated they bought TI retainers from Carpenter Racing but when I called them they said NO, they never sold any.

So, use the 2nd Gen retainers in your 1st Gen. There was an update on those. What exactly I don't know.

JJ
post #3 of 43 Old 01-17-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to bodyglove
ohhhh ok because i read a post that someone said that the 06 + used ti retainers , thanks for the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 01-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to b_silva2000
what r the retainers?
post #5 of 43 Old 01-17-2008, 06:19 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Back in the early 90's Kawasaki was selling Aluminium retainers in the ZX7 Race kits to replace the stock steel ones.

Problem with Aluminium is that very strong valve springs can pull the valve thru the softer aluminium causing catastrophic engine failure. This has happened a lot on early 2000 vintage Suzuki's especially the 600's under racing conditions. Ever heard of the Army of Darkness Race team. They lost more motors that way than one would ever beleive.

I bought Titanium retainers for my ZX7 Superbike engines from APE and they were LOVELY and light weight. I recently sold them to a man in the UK.

I know of no other options at this time. Might wait and see what comes in the new 08 model. Might be an upgrade there.

JJ
post #6 of 43 Old 01-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to b_silva2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJam View Post
Back in the early 90's Kawasaki was selling Aluminium retainers in the ZX7 Race kits to replace the stock steel ones.

Problem with Aluminium is that very strong valve springs can pull the valve thru the softer aluminium causing catastrophic engine failure. This has happened a lot on early 2000 vintage Suzuki's especially the 600's under racing conditions. Ever heard of the Army of Darkness Race team. They lost more motors that way than one would ever beleive.

I bought Titanium retainers for my ZX7 Superbike engines from APE and they were LOVELY and light weight. I recently sold them to a man in the UK.

I know of no other options at this time. Might wait and see what comes in the new 08 model. Might be an upgrade there.

JJ
gotcha...makes sense now, thanks
post #7 of 43 Old 01-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
06/07's are NOT Titanium, they are sintered Aluminium and are upgraded from the 04/05 part#s. So buy the 2nd Gen retainers for your first Gen.

As for Titanium Retainers I called EVERYONE looking to find some and no one had any. APE asked me why I wanted TI since the stock ones were so good. Further when I talked to Richard Stanboli at Attack Performance he told me they were running the stock retainers in their Superbikes and they work fine.

I have never like Aluminium retainers myself, but there the only game I know of at this time.

I have read where people stated they bought TI retainers from Carpenter Racing but when I called them they said NO, they never sold any.

So, use the 2nd Gen retainers in your 1st Gen. There was an update on those. What exactly I don't know.

JJ

2004-2005 also use retainer made of sintered Aluminium however part number are different from 06-07 model.

Are the 2006-2007 retainer lighter? and/or really more solide?

2005 RAW TITANIUM ZX-10R:
04 /05 Kawasaki race intake cam, 0.45mm head gasket, full titanium akrapovic exhaust, Woolich racing LBP, PCIII USB, BMC race air filter,
wideband O2 sensor, annitori Rl QS, Hyperpro RSC steering damper, Shorai lithium battery, gipro ds gear indicator,
healtech Shift light pro, ZX-14 front caliper

2002 ZX-12R all stock

1993 MUSTANG LX 5.0L, N/A 400 HP, [email protected] MPH on 17" E.T. street tire
post #8 of 43 Old 01-17-2008, 10:20 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPH93LX View Post
2004-2005 also use retainer made of sintered Aluminium however part number are different from 06-07 model.

Are the 2006-2007 retainer lighter? and/or really more solide?
Good Question. Answer, I don't have a clue but you have intrigued me enough to go and order 1 of each for testing and weighing.

Stay Tuned.

JJ
post #9 of 43 Old 01-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Good Question. Answer, I don't have a clue but you have intrigued me enough to go and order 1 of each for testing and weighing.

Stay Tuned.

JJ

I will be waiting for your finding. If it's lighter & stronger I will probably order some since I am about to change the gasket and the cam anyway.

I know that sometime a Kawasaki part number can be different but the part may be the same or they change a part number but the part stay exactly the same and it's seem that there is no reason for the part number changes. I seen that on few occasions.

2005 RAW TITANIUM ZX-10R:
04 /05 Kawasaki race intake cam, 0.45mm head gasket, full titanium akrapovic exhaust, Woolich racing LBP, PCIII USB, BMC race air filter,
wideband O2 sensor, annitori Rl QS, Hyperpro RSC steering damper, Shorai lithium battery, gipro ds gear indicator,
healtech Shift light pro, ZX-14 front caliper

2002 ZX-12R all stock

1993 MUSTANG LX 5.0L, N/A 400 HP, [email protected] MPH on 17" E.T. street tire

Last edited by STEPH93LX; 01-17-2008 at 11:35 PM.
post #10 of 43 Old 01-19-2008, 01:04 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

As of right now the only issue Kawi seems to have with valve retainers are with the new 6R. We've done 2 motors so far. Valves dropoing is catostrophic and Kawi nows it. They have been pretty good with warrenty on engine R & R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in