Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

ZX-10R '05 electrical issue

726 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bigzx10 
#1 ·
Hi,
I've ZX-10R '05 and have a strange problem. When I turn the key to on (ingnition turn on) it blows 15A ECU fuse and in the meters it blows one smal resistor (or diode)(V15 48 I think). Friend change the diode (or resistor) in the meters (he change it for the same one). Then I put a new safety fuse (15A fuse for ECU). Turned the ingnition on and ....again. We tried CDI, Meters and any other units on another ZX-10R '05 and everything was ok. Do you think there can be a problem somewhere in the cables? (damaged cable or something like that?) I realy don't know what to do with that and kawasaki dealer with service is pretty far from my place. :-(

Thank you for all ideas.

Fill

#5 ·
Does it blow the ECU fuse with the meter unplugged? If you haven’t tried that go ahead and disconnect the meter(16pin plug) the bike will still start. If the fuse doesn’t blow than you have a bad meter or short in there, you will also need to find a new Electronics guy as well :lol:

#8 ·
when the fuse poped again did the diode pop? If the cluster works on another bike and it did not pop a fuse that should tell you the cluster is good unless you poped that diode and didnt notice when you tired it on the other bike. I would look at the connectors and see if you have any loose pins or pins that are touching then i would start with the wires and check to see if any 2 wires are touching through the insulation. Ohm out the ground wire to the cluster after you have everything else disconnected on that ground wire or you will get the resistance of the load that is still connected and not the wire. i would start with whats known to be tampered with and look at the solder connections on the diode. It could have been too fat of a solder and it might be touching 2 parts of the circut board.

now i have a favor to ask of you. Since you have your cluster out can you give me the color codes of the wires to the pin connections so i can wire in my cluster? I just need all 16 from left to right top to bottom facing the back of the connector with the connector tab facing up?thanx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.