wtf, smoke... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

wtf, smoke...

I was tinkering with my 05 the other day and I noticed that I'm puffing purple smoke after quick revs. The bike was not in motion and in nuetral on a stand. Bike has just a hair over 15k on it. I've been on a few rides and no one that has been behind me has commented on seeing a purple cloud while on the throttle. I did just add a full bottle of this:

to the tank. Could that be the cause? I'm only half way through that tank of fuel so perhaps it's too early to tell. Has anyone heard of valve seals going with so few miles on them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 07:48 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

smoking

lucas has a professional fi cleaning system for autos, also cleans valves, pistons, and combustion chamber by dripping cleaner into intakemanifold with car idling. produces some strange ex. gasses, especially when revved expelling deposits. 10's are also sensitive to oil level and overfilling due to small crankcase volume. common for big bore 10 to puke oil into breather. are you overfilled, what level is bike sitting at on stand? my bike had 33k and valve seals were very pliable, had good tension on stem, and wiped oil perfectly. ck ur oil level, run your cleaner on thru, run thru the gears and i believe ur problem will disappear.

Last edited by gazx10; 07-07-2010 at 08:50 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

It's probably the cleaner. It says for up to 25 gal and you added a full bottle to a 4.5 gal tank. You should have added 1/3 max of the bottle, not the whole thing. Duh.

Green '04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Seafoam creates some angry smoke clouds when run on larger engines. I've never run it through my 10 but at 16k she runs perfectly with no smoke or anything. I haven't thought of running a cleaner through it yet since everything looks solid.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

also realize that when you blip the throttle, you are making power when the throttle is open, but when closed, and the engine is coasting down, there is significant vacume generated in the cylinder at points of the combustion cycle. if there is oil anywhere in the system (under the upper ring, or accumulated on the valves, or in the breather... this will give you puffs of smoke. Normally you don't see it because you are on the bike, and normally any excess oil will burn off during your first coast down to a stop sign when the bike is warm... but you can see puffs giving it the revs on the stand.

understand that this can also be water vapor from moisture in the header if the bike isn't up to temp. or small amounts of water in the fuel giving you puffs of steam (rather then smoke).

you can put your hand in it, far enough away that you don't get burned, and then smell it. tells you a bunch of things... if you do have oil leak by you will not only smell it, you will feel it, your hand will feel oily. if it's water, you won't smell the oil, it will smell like exhaust, but if you have a coolent leak into the combustion area, you will smell antifreeze or burnt antifreeze...

Need to know how to install your Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert? click me
For more info on a sticky grip (not enough cable slack) click me
And another amazing install write up click this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
lol, once you go 1/5th... you NEVER go back
post #6 of 12 Old 07-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Newfie Bullet

Posting Frequency

Garage
stem seals can go any time...I had some go on an older bike before a cpl thou k..OOORRRRR you might be running royal purple oil in yer engine and its throwin up..

Team green,Bleed green,RIDE GREEN!!

Brembo m/c,Nassert Beet,HEL lines,Pazzo levers,HID kit,custom monster paint scheme..Thanks to forum member horse for that..Woolich raceing kit,Elka rear shock and front fork pistons,Green samco coolant hose kit,Zero gravity dbbl smoked screen,520 conversion,attack rear sets,bmc race air filter,Monster zx6 front seat,moto graffix tank pad,feredo pads,galpher lite weight rear rotor.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-08-2010, 12:49 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

WHY did you add the whole bottle??? your killin' me

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2003 1500 Meanstreak Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R
post #8 of 12 Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Its just smoke from the Lucas and it won't hurt anything. I did this before on purpose and my bike was fine after that tank of gas.

05 Z1000 - Traded
05 ZX12R - Stolen
04 ZX10R - Going to be sold soon. New bully on the block!
13 ZX10R - Getting abused...

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it"
post #9 of 12 Old 07-08-2010, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the input. One bottle treats UP TO 25 gallons and it works better at higher concentrations. I'll run this tank out and report back.
As far as oil level goes, it's 3-4mm below the upper mark. I was concerned as I had just completed an oil change and uploaded a different fuel map.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian1000
WHY did you add the whole bottle??? your killin' me

At least it wasn't this....
Attached Images

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in