Wtd: Engine builder recommendation near Atlanta - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-03-2008, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Wtd: Engine builder recommendation near Atlanta

I'd like to hook up with an engine builder with a good reputation. I live a few miles northwest of Atlanta, GA.

I plan to install a Power Commander or Bizazz, and make a custom air box, so someone familiar with tuning would be good.

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-03-2008, 01:32 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
I'd like to hook up with an engine builder with a good reputation. I live a few miles northwest of Atlanta, GA.

I plan to install a Power Commander or Bizazz, and make a custom air box, so someone familiar with tuning would be good.

TIA.
MSP Cycles off Lawrenceville Highway.

Go to the basement and ask for Roger Sheperd. IMO he is the absoloute best there is. I raced with him for years back in the 90's. They have Dynojet 250I upstairs as well.

PM me if you need their phone #.

JJ
post #3 of 9 Old 03-03-2008, 07:01 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to axo250
Just to give you an idea.... I built my 04 motor with Carpenters cams/headwork and a 3mill bore and I gained about 12-15hp. I added a timing module and have yet to get back on the dyno but I'm hoping I'm about 20 hp or so over what it was before. Motorwork is expensive and not very rewarding honestly. I spent a crap ton of money on it and put it together myself to help save some money. Just don't be expecting a 20+ hp gain solely from motor work unless you stroke it.... which I don't suggest cause the motor won't last.

Another alternative to work on your engine is coby adams. He's in the carolinas. And I believe Dwayne (Cycle Concepts) on here is still building them and he's in SC. I don't have any experience with his motors although I believe a few do on here. I know Coby does good work though. Hell he use to be Kawi's main man and may still be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-03-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the suggestions.

A few more details about my situation:

My racing class' rules say no internal mods (which is good - helps keep costs down and reliability up). I'm looking for someone who can help me show up at the track with a healthy & reliable engine. An added plus would be someone with experience to tune for good power.

Last weekend I lost a cylinder. At least that's my hunch. While on the track at high RPM's I felt/heard something, saw smoke in the mirrors and shut it down quickly. Later in the paddock I ran the engine briefly. It smoked a little and sounded like it was missing a cyl.

I was going to do a compression test tonight, but don't have an adapter that small.

It could be a piston ring, valve problem, who knows. It was disappointing. It happened during qualifying so I didn't get to race. It was an unopened $1,200 ebay motor with unknown history.

I'll post here when I determine the problem (and hopefully, the cause).
post #5 of 9 Old 03-03-2008, 08:27 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

So you are needing really someone to just tune a power commander? The only other thing I know that you could do engine wise is change the cam timing.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-03-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by axo250 View Post
So you are needing really someone to just tune a power commander?
In the future. I'm looking to have a good relationship with a trusted, knowledgeable builder/tuner. I can do stuff on my own, but hate to make expensive mistakes if they can be avoided.

If I get the basic package working, a Power Commander is probably a next step. I want a reliable drive train and good overall package, then build from there. It's a home built chassis & drive train (sort of), so I'm still sorting things out. Last weekend I also had some shifting issues. It didn't always get 6th gear, sometimes taking a few tries. Not very conducive for successful racing ... :-).

That was my second race with the car. It'll get there soon, I hope.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-03-2008, 08:38 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Yeesh I'm not really sure who to send you to in the area. My tuner is in Knoxville but he wouldn't be able to tune the power commander on a car. He has a bike dyno.

However there is a guy in Calhoun, GA. (right south of Dalton) that is supposedly an expert tuner. He does cars mainly and has been into bike for about 2 years now. I think his place is called Dyno4mance. He is a European guy that has a super nice shop and used to be a mechanic or tuner for rally cars. He is supposedly well known for that although I don't keep up with that stuff. He might be able to help you out. I'd give him a call.

Here's the website. http://dyno4mance.com/
post #8 of 9 Old 03-11-2008, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJam View Post
MSP Cycles off Lawrenceville Highway.

Go to the basement and ask for Roger Sheperd. IMO he is the absoloute best there is. I raced with him for years back in the 90's. They have Dynojet 250I upstairs as well.

PM me if you need their phone #.

JJ
Thanks for the lead. I talked with Roger on the phone. Seemed like a sharp guy. I may load up my race car and take it to him to help me troubleshoot my engine woes.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-12-2008, 04:45 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I build race motors for a living, I have a shop here in NC Give me a call and we can talk about mods and your different options there are several good builders in your area. There are several things you can do to fine tune the motor and get a little edge. without any "internal mods" per say.

336-362-4657
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in