Worried By The Threads About Retainers, What About + Race Cam - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-16-2010, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Unhappy Worried By The Threads About Retainers, What About + Race Cam

Stuff like this is worrying me https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=85790
Does anyone have knowledge as to wether having the race intake cam installed increases the likelyhood ?
How many automatically used better retainers when they installed the race cam ?
I dont have the facilities to replace them myself & the shops over here charge big money for this stuff, am now wishing I knew about this when I had it installed cos I'd have paid at the time for the Ti ones.
Should I / we be worried.
Thx Ergo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-16-2010, 11:13 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

what are you doing with the bike?street riding?dragracing?givin it hell every so often?nitrous?i used the carpenter ti retainers when i cracked into mine and stiff valve springs but im also hittin it with a 40 shot....its cheap insurance if you ask me
post #3 of 15 Old 03-17-2010, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Unhappy

Hi there zx-sik-r
I primarily use it for very fast road racing with friends, various amounts of twisties with varying straights between them.
Have my rev light set to come on at peak HP, thats where I change up.
Occasional Top speed runs,empty wide roads and lack of pigs & speedtraps allowing.

Agree its cheap insurance, but I wasn't aware of it when I had the engine work done, so to get this done will cost me as much in labour as the original head work + the cost of the retainers, I'm looking at around £1100uk labour {approx $1650us} +parts

Was expecting more input / interest on this subject as so many people on here 'claim' to have the kit intake cam. I don't believe for a minute they all swapped out thir retainers, especially if they were doing the cam without a thinner H/G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-17-2010, 10:42 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergotomine View Post
Hi there zx-sik-r
I primarily use it for very fast road racing with friends, various amounts of twisties with varying straights between them.
Have my rev light set to come on at peak HP, thats where I change up.
Occasional Top speed runs,empty wide roads and lack of pigs & speedtraps allowing.

Agree its cheap insurance, but I wasn't aware of it when I had the engine work done, so to get this done will cost me as much in labour as the original head work + the cost of the retainers, I'm looking at around £1100uk labour {approx $1650us} +parts

Was expecting more input / interest on this subject as so many people on here 'claim' to have the kit intake cam. I don't believe for a minute they all swapped out thir retainers, especially if they were doing the cam without a thinner H/G.
I didnt have a problem with mine till i did stiff springs and retainers were not out yet. i had a thin gasket and race intake cam full exhaust and put 12k on it that summer doing alot of top speed runs. pulled motor apart that winter put stiff springs in and pulled the keepers right through the retainer now i have ti
post #5 of 15 Old 03-17-2010, 10:59 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergotomine View Post
Was expecting more input / interest on this subject as so many people on here 'claim' to have the kit intake cam. I don't believe for a minute they all swapped out their retainers, especially if they were doing the cam without a thinner H/G.
Good topic. I'm watching and interested in people's responses. I plan to pop my cam cover and check mine this week (easy to do - engine is out of the race car). I hope they'll look good, but still considering changing them for insurance. I run a stock valve train but spend a lot of time near redline.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-17-2010, 11:22 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I spend a lot of time around redline while land speed racing, and have had no problems with the stock retainers (knock on wood). I always use aftermarket springs.

I bought a used head and it showed up with a broken retainer. I asked the guy about it, and he said it came off a running street bike. The keepers were still in place.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
I ran on my first stock bore motor a kawi .45mm gasket and the kawi intake race cam for about 2 years of hard riding with out a problem, stock valve train and all down to the cam chain adjuster. I think the retainers are a hit or miss kinda thing to be honest, must have been a batch gone back or bad machining processes. I would inspect them to see if they are broken and if not leave it alone.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

im with garth285 on this, i work for a kawasaki dealer in the uk , i`v never seen any brake up yet,
post #9 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 08:06 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I guess the only way to see if you have a problem is by removing cams and tappets, right? And then it'll be pretty obvious (a keeper will look out of place or a retainer looks damaged)?

I don't suppose there's any way to tell if there is a problem in a running or unopened engine.

What is the consensus for "the fix"? New Ti keepers (aka collets) from someone like Carpenter? Are the stock spring retainers fine?

Are you looking at something like a $300 investment for the improved parts?
post #10 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
yeah, you will have to remove cams and the buckets to see if any retainers are broken.

some will go with stock retainers.

stock retainers run 120bucks from ronayers plus shipping

carpenter titanium retainers are 220 plus 15 shipping

so for 100 bucks more you will have no worries about any retainers ever again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in