Wont Start. Starter BAD ? Starter went PPPPPRRRRRRRLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 11-14-2008, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?

Posting Frequency

Wont Start. Starter BAD ? Starter went PPPPPRRRRRRRLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!

Bike wont start.

I rode yesterday, everything was 100% OK.
I always hook up the battery tender EVERYTIME I garage my bike, so battery is supposed to be perfect.

I woke up kinda late... decided I'd ride my bike to work.
So I got ready and everything, inserted the KEY, then the starter did its thing for like 2 seconds and then....

PPPPPRRRRRRRLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!

What the fuck was that? So I turned it OFF, ON.. then hit on it again.
Starter sounded fine for like 2 seconds then...

PPPPPRRRRRRRLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!

I'll explain the sound.
Imagine you have a playing card, then put it against the blade of a running electric fan.
Thats how it sounded like.

NO FI light.
ALL Lights come on.
Battery is 100% charged.

I didnt have any time to look at it.. i had to go to work.
And I was late to work, about 20 minutes.

So what you guys think? Starter bad?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-14-2008, 09:30 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to fastburnzx-10 Send a message via MSN to fastburnzx-10
sounds like it.....put it in gear, hold the clutch in drift it back a little bit and pop the clutch,.....dont drift start it, but just enough to turn the engine over...then try the starter again....if it still makes the same sound, then its the starter

Ride hard, ride fast....

08 ZX-10R (Black)
05 zx-10r (magma)-KIA---
73 Z1 900 (all original)-The Original Kawi beast
post #3 of 22 Old 11-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Battery may be 100% charged but can It HOLD a CHARGE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-14-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
Battery may be 100% charged but can It HOLD a CHARGE
I've been riding.
The bike was ridden just yesterday.

The battery cant go bad overnight, can it?
It's always been with the battery tender every night, every day, every time I park the bike.

post #5 of 22 Old 11-14-2008, 10:03 PM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky10R View Post
I've been riding.
The bike was ridden just yesterday.

The battery cant go bad overnight, can it?
It's always been with the battery tender every night, every day, every time I park the bike

Sounds like you got a bad cell or two in your battery, it may be reeading 12 volts, but more than likely it is low on the amperage you need to turn the starter repeditivly. The noise you are describing is exactly like what the starter will sound like if it has just enough voltage to engague but not enough to turn the engine over. I sugess taking the battery out, take it to your local auto parts sotre and have them bench check it, make sure they put it under a load condition, my money is on a bad battery.

Is it still the original battery?

Batteries go bad, even with a tender.
Another thing, leave it off the tender for a night and see if it is even worse the next day.
If you had a multimeter you could check how much it is draing down over night, a bad cell battery will not hold 12.6 -8volts overnight it would drop down.

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
post #6 of 22 Old 11-14-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9R to 10R View Post
Sounds like you got a bad cell or two in your battery, it may be reeading 12 volts, but more than likely it is low on the amperage you need to turn the starter repeditivly. The noise you are describing is exactly like what the starter will sound like if it has just enough voltage to engague but not enough to turn the engine over. I sugess taking the battery out, take it to your local auto parts sotre and have them bench check it, make sure they put it under a load condition, my money is on a bad battery.

Is it still the original battery?

Batteries go bad, even with a tender.
Another thing, leave it off the tender for a night and see if it is even worse the next day.
If you had a multimeter you could check how much it is draing down over night, a bad cell battery will not hold 12.6 -8volts overnight it would drop down.

Thanks for the input.
But my real question is... would it just DIE out of nowhere?
I have been riding quite often, almost everyday for a looooong time.
Every START before this problem were all ONE-CLICK.
This is the first time this happened.

It is the ORIG batt.
Thanks, I will have the local shop bench test it.

Lucky

post #7 of 22 Old 11-14-2008, 10:39 PM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky10R View Post
Thanks for the input.
But my real question is... would it just DIE out of nowhere?
I have been riding quite often, almost everyday for a looooong time.
Every START before this problem were all ONE-CLICK.
This is the first time this happened.

It is the ORIG batt.
Thanks, I will have the local shop bench test it.

Lucky

Yep, you won't have any notice, it will just be bad one day, It was probably on its way, but using the tender kept it good enough to crank for a while, but I would bet its probably gone. But get it checked first, those little boogers are pricey, epsecially if you stay with the Yuassa which I reccomend.

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
post #8 of 22 Old 11-14-2008, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?

Posting Frequency

thanks again

post #9 of 22 Old 11-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

If it was here at the shop ,I would test the battery(don't need to take it out of bike).First test tells me voltage if that is good then I enter battery type (MF) in this case and enter AH rating for this battery.Seeing how it's a YT12B-BS I'm guessing it's a 12AH (not at the shop right now to look this up)Enter 12AH the tester runs that test tell me either good and pass and percentage or bad replace.(Take the bike to your closest shop tell them to come out to the parking lot and test your battery.We don't charge to do this, don't see why anybody else would)

If the battery test good then I test the starter and starter relay.Find the starter relay(it's usually right by the battery)Positive lead(heavy gage red wire) comes off battery right to the relay.The other heavy gage black wire off the relay goes to the starter.Use a battery charger /boost starter.Connect negative lead of charger to battery negative.Connect Positive lead of charger to the Heavy gage black wire on the starter relay.Turn on charger set to boost charge(must be more than 12v 15 amp).You have just by passed relay.If starter turns over at good speed your starter good.

Lat most common thing is the starter relay.If both your battery and starter passed there test.Now test relay.Turn key on hit the starter button. listen to the relay if you hear a loud buzzing sound coming from it ,then your relay is bad.(Make sure you test starter as descried above first,as it too came make a buzzing sound when the brushes go bad)

05 green ZX10R,Akrappovic Evo 2 Carbon w/ hex shorty can full exhaust system,Power Commander USB,Radial front master cylinder(636),Goodridge front and rear carboline brake lines,07 CBR1000RR front brake calipers,Vesrah race front brake pads,Targa tail kit,flush mount front signals,Cabon fiber led rear signals,Ohlins steering dampers,-1 front,Speedo Healer, Pilot Power tires,Gipro Tre and gold Sato's rearsets.

Last edited by Daves Cycles; 11-15-2008 at 12:08 AM.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-15-2008, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves Cycles View Post
If it was here at the shop ,I would test the battery(don't need to take it out of bike).First test tells me voltage if that is good then I enter battery type (MF) in this case and enter AH rating for this battery.Seeing how it's a YT12B-BS I'm guessing it's a 12AH (not at the shop right now to look this up)Enter 12AH the tester runs that test tell me either good and pass and percentage or bad replace.(Take the bike to your closest shop tell them to come out to the parking lot and test your battery.We don't charge to do this, don't see why anybody else would)

If the battery test good then I test the starter and starter relay.Find the starter relay(it's usually right by the battery)Positive lead(heavy gage red wire) comes off battery right to the relay.The other heavy gage black wire off the relay goes to the starter.Use a battery charger /boost starter.Connect negative lead of charger to battery negative.Connect Positive lead of charger to the Heavy gage black wire on the starter relay.Turn on charger set to boost charge(must be more than 12v 15 amp).You have just by passed relay.If starter turns over at good speed your starter good.

Lat most common thing is the starter relay.If both your battery and starter passed there test.Now test relay.Turn key on hit the starter button. listen to the relay if you hear a loud buzzing sound coming from it ,then your relay is bad.(Make sure you test starter as descried above first,as it too came make a buzzing sound when the brushes go bad)

Thanks!
But like I said, I had to leave the bike and drive my car.
Im at work right now so I cant do nothing else.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bad starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in