Wiseco pistons - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 11-11-2005, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Wiseco pistons

Just so everybody knows and for any advise. I had a isuue with no. 2 Piston earlier this week.
I had a knock noise generate in the top end of the engine. FUGG!. I used a mechanics stethoscope and determined it was in the top half of the engine. I pulled the head off on the bike. No problem since I did the head gasket and intake cam a few months ago. 4000 miles ago before the eneducated mechanic jokes start. I have had no problems whatsoever until now. Anyway when i got the head off I noticed something has been in no 2 cylinder. It has severely beat the piston and the combustion chamber. I have already pulled the engine and took just the "short block" to the local shop to have the pistons replaced. I did find a piece of metal in the cylinder that apperared to be the culprit. The shop tearing the block down will investigate what the piece I found was. I am out of ideas of were it came from. So my plans as of right now are to replace all 4 pistons with 2 mil over pistons. The block will need bored and replated. I will then send the head to carpenter racing to have their work done to it. I talked to them earlier today and thought about sending the complete engine to them. After a few phone calls I decided to have the local shop do the engine and let carpenter do the head. Has anybody made a 1051 out of their bike? What difference did it make? iMy main concern is overheating. I figured I would play guinea pig with mine. I will take some pics of the head tommorow evening before I box the it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 11-11-2005, 09:51 PM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

let us know how it goes.
post #3 of 41 Old 11-11-2005, 10:00 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

will deffinently be an interesting bike after the Mods. Keep us informed on the progress and results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 11-11-2005, 10:56 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Let us know the outcome and the $$$ spent. I'm curious where the metal came from.
post #5 of 41 Old 11-11-2005, 11:20 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

The metal is probably off the skirt of one of the pistons.
Depending on the compression will determine if you are going to have problems with it running hot. 2 mil over shouldn't be a problem. I would want all the machine/motor work done by the same people though. Just my .02, good luck and keep us posted
post #6 of 41 Old 11-12-2005, 06:06 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

JE also has a 1051 kit for the 10.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #7 of 41 Old 11-12-2005, 11:19 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I had thought about doing the upgrade seeing as my motor went boom. I still haven't decided yet as of what to do but I am leaning more twords the 1051 kit. And yes both je and wiseco do offer the kit but you will have to let carpenter know if you do increase cc's so they can do the head accordingly. But if you get yours done before I do let me know how it goes and if you ran into any issues. With the extra displacement you will no longer be able to compete in some racing classes if you are into that. This is one of the things I hadn't thouhgt about before. But anyway good luck and keep us informed.
post #8 of 41 Old 11-12-2005, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by maze
I had thought about doing the upgrade seeing as my motor went boom. I still haven't decided yet as of what to do but I am leaning more twords the 1051 kit. And yes both je and wiseco do offer the kit but you will have to let carpenter know if you do increase cc's so they can do the head accordingly. But if you get yours done before I do let me know how it goes and if you ran into any issues. With the extra displacement you will no longer be able to compete in some racing classes if you are into that. This is one of the things I hadn't thouhgt about before. But anyway good luck and keep us informed.
The wiseco piston kit was ordered thursday and should be at the shop monday. I am calling carpenter monday to make sure they have all the info they need before I ship the head to them.
post #9 of 41 Old 11-12-2005, 02:37 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

If memory serves me correct I think Wiseco now owns JE. That being the case I wonder if there's much difference between the two slugs? They may both still work independantly I don't know for sure.
post #10 of 41 Old 11-12-2005, 02:54 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

i too have called carpenter and asked about the 1051, just make sure he gives you the info on the throttle body mod he does and send your cams so they can be ground to his specs to compliment the head work. If you want max performance its worth the money in my opinion. might be in my list of things to do this winter, good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in