wide ratio trans or taller 6th - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-02-2005, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

wide ratio trans or taller 6th

aight, before you start throwing things at me I spend a lot of time on open boring higways at +-75 MPH and seeing this thing at 4500 rpm all the time kinda bugs me. Probably nothing to worry about given the redline, and I love the sound screaming down the road... but yall ever hear of a wide ratio or overdrive 6th for the 10?

okay, commense throwing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-02-2005, 08:10 PM

Posting Frequency

That's actually one of my complaints (close ratios) for street riding with the 10 and why I haven't installed the 16T countershaft sprocket sitting in my garage. You could try to fit an 18T sprocket in front or go down a few teeth in the rear. It would make first even more insanely tall, but at least the ratios would be spread out more. I don't even want to think about tearing the tranny apart.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-02-2005, 09:39 PM

Posting Frequency

Are you guys serious if it bugs you to see the tach at 4.5k then ride faster. I think that is a decent cruising rpm if you look at redline. I think if you widened out the tranny you would have no pulling power in 6th. I mean anything below 4k rpms is pretty low in hp and torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-02-2005, 10:49 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to crispin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankyoz
Are you guys serious if it bugs you to see the tach at 4.5k then ride faster. I think that is a decent cruising rpm if you look at redline. I think if you widened out the tranny you would have no pulling power in 6th. I mean anything below 4k rpms is pretty low in hp and torque.
It bothers me to see my bike below 4.5K

I never understand why people want to bog motors down

not just bikes but all the time I get in a car with someone and they row through the gears like it is a race to top gear.

They shift twice before crossing an intersection.

I rev the shit out of my stuff, thats where the power is.

ya ya ya...
post #5 of 15 Old 02-02-2005, 11:10 PM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
Talking

I don't think the RPM should be a problem. The bike was made to rev.

What kind of vehicle do you drive? If your used to a truck with a redline of 4500, I could possibly see your concern...
I have an Acura Integra. It redlines a 6500. At 60mph the rpms are just above 3000. I have 182,000mi on it and still runnin strong.

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

post #6 of 15 Old 02-03-2005, 12:26 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Hi all,

One of the many reasons I chose this ZX-10 over keeping a perfectly good GSXR 1000 was the absolutely beautiful close ratios of this gearbox. If you ever drive a mid or wide ratio gearboxed sportbike around for a while, you will see the difference and most likely come running back to a close ratio box.

On the street, for a lot of stoplight to stoplight type of acceleration, those boxes may have a slight edge over a true close ratio box, in the form of torque multiplication. But I feel the overall drivability of the ZX-10 box far outweighs that "street racing"
mind-set that exists. The shorter RPM drop between each shift creates a smoother riding bike, which I believe makes for a much better bike in the twisties and in all around street riding.

The ZX-10, as mass manufactured, isn't really a drag racing bike, although it certainly can be made to run well in that setting. It is basically a road racing bike, de-tuned some for the street for sport riding. I personally would not trade this gearbox for anything out there.

Just my opinions....

Take care,

JJ

2012 black ZX10R, Targa F/E, Graves Ti slip-on & Ivan's wire mod.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-03-2005, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Keep in mine I'm still sorting out this bike, hell I only got 50 miles on it (damn snow!). I'll adapt if nothing else. I had a busa a few bikes ago, that thing lumbered along like diesel, it was somewhere around 2000 rpm if I recall. Different cam profiles entirely but regardless it's seems pointless to screem the motor when you're not doing anything with it. It's a little buzzy, through the hands and ears, and long trips might be a nuisance. I'm sure the motor would pull a taller gear just fine too. So do the enurance racers do anything different with these? What about drag racers? I know there are several drag racing companies that do individual gears, autos, and full billet trransmissions. HRC does a lot of stuff like this with their motocrossers and roadracers, does kawi have anyhting like the hrc division for road racers. How 'bout Muzzy? Is he still on this forum or was that another one?
post #8 of 15 Old 02-03-2005, 08:51 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

robh -

With all due respect, after only 50 miles, how can you really make any informed judgements? Your Busa was showing about 38mph at 2,000rpm. And I wouldn't be riding ANY sportbike at low revs like that. At 4,500rpm, the 10R is barely into midrange, and it's designed to run all day at high revs. If looking at those revs truely bothers you, I'd look into a twin. Perhaps an RC51.

Mal
'12 ZX-14R
'12 ZX-10R
65+ and medicated
post #9 of 15 Old 02-03-2005, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

been there, rsv mille, don't care for twins, expecially poorly balance 60 degree ones. I actually don't mind "looking" at the revs, it's the feeling part, that and the nasty buzzing behind the cowl (do the rest of yours buzz this bad?) thats what really get's me... One of my cars is an audi with a 1.8, that thing just screems all the time. For that matter I have the v10 in my motorhome and that thing screems too, I guess I'm just destined to spin em hard... but back to the buzzing, mostly noise - I guess that's what really bugs me the most, you guys got that? Seems like mostly from behind the fairing and under the tank (read... engine) but it might be the pipe. Got the stock head pipe and tail pipe with a TBR slip/bolt on... not to be confused with a strap on
post #10 of 15 Old 02-03-2005, 05:14 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

To fix the buzzing, do something to absorb the vibration at the handlebars. I filled mine with sand because it was free, but you can spend (a small amount of) money on fixing it that way, too.

Much as the close-ratio tranny is generally a good thing, there are unavoidable times spend just running down the road (too much of it, around here), and I can understand the desire for a taller top gear, if only to trim the fuel consumption down a bit ...

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in