Gen 2: 2006-2007 what's up with stock exhaust? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-28-2011, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

what's up with stock exhaust?

it seems like the stock exhaust was designed very poorly:don't know:, it's kind a good cause you can make a lot more power with an aftermarket one, but still got me confused. The header is somewhat 4-2-1 design but it connects cylinder 1 and 2, and 3 and 4 stead of 1-4 and 2-3, primary tubes seems little bit on the big side and the rest of the exhaust is little bit over sized, the under tail tubing were designed to support 210ish hp or so.

My question is to those with aftermarket exhaust, what size primarys on the header, and what type? ( 4-1 or 4-2-1), this big bore and short stroke engine almost asking for a 4-1 header, and I am sure 4-2-1 design is there to get little bit of bottom end torque back in it. And what size is the rest of the exhaust including the rear undertail section.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-28-2011, 04:39 AM
Gen2 Ripper

Posting Frequency

Its not a bad design, it actually does its job of providing some good midrange power with good top end power. The stock exhaust servo valve and the throttle body secondaries help to give it a little bit of low end. I mean try and help,lol.
A 4 into 1 setup would give better top end power but at the sacrifice of lower end power and most of the midrange. A 4-2-1 gives better low and midrange power but gives up peak upper rev power to do so compared to what a 4-1 would. The stock 2nd gen 4-2-1-2 setup gives all around performance. There's plenty of aftermarket exhaust that give a choice of what we want. I stuck with 4-2-1 for some streetability. I don't think muzzy made a 4-1 sidewinder for the 2-d gen. The 1st gen muzzy sidewinder is a 4-1 I believe. The brocks sidewinder is a 4-2-1 and brocks knows what makes good power on these 1000's.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-28-2011, 06:33 AM
Custom Powder Coater

Posting Frequency

just y i went with arrow... but u loose a little power with a 4-2-1 also my reason for going back to the duals 4-2-1-2..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06blackpearl View Post
just y i went with arrow... but u loose a little power with a 4-2-1 also my reason for going back to the duals 4-2-1-2..
That's what i was talking about, very good proper 421 header unlike stocker. Do you have anymore pics and measurements? thanks
post #5 of 11 Old 03-28-2011, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverendingmods View Post
Its not a bad design, it actually does its job of providing some good midrange power with good top end power. The stock exhaust servo valve and the throttle body secondaries help to give it a little bit of low end. I mean try and help,lol.
A 4 into 1 setup would give better top end power but at the sacrifice of lower end power and most of the midrange. A 4-2-1 gives better low and midrange power but gives up peak upper rev power to do so compared to what a 4-1 would. The stock 2nd gen 4-2-1-2 setup gives all around performance. There's plenty of aftermarket exhaust that give a choice of what we want. I stuck with 4-2-1 for some streetability. I don't think muzzy made a 4-1 sidewinder for the 2-d gen. The 1st gen muzzy sidewinder is a 4-1 I believe. The brocks sidewinder is a 4-2-1 and brocks knows what makes good power on these 1000's.
you said it, it provides some good midrange lol, thanks to smaller valves, and no thanks to exhaust servo valve
post #6 of 11 Old 03-28-2011, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
how did you like brocks exhaust?
post #7 of 11 Old 03-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Custom Powder Coater

Posting Frequency

The first brocks exhauust i had was the dual megaphon which i wish i never sold the sound/performance was great!!
I then went to the muzzy gp which was nothing more than a loud pipe compared to the brocks..
i then sold the muzzy to get the brocks alien head which was a large improvement over muzzy gp, however it still didnt feel sound/performe like the dual megaphone from brocks so i decided to go back to the dual brocks until i found the arrow at a price u couldnt pass up.. im still wautibg for the weather to break to take her out... for more pics go here and i dont have any measurements..

https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=98517
post #8 of 11 Old 03-28-2011, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
The first brocks exhauust i had was the dual megaphon which i wish i never sold the sound/performance was great!!
I then went to the muzzy gp which was nothing more than a loud pipe compared to the brocks..
i then sold the muzzy to get the brocks alien head which was a large improvement over muzzy gp, however it still didnt feel sound/performe like the dual megaphone from brocks so i decided to go back to the dual brocks until i found the arrow at a price u couldnt pass up.. im still wautibg for the weather to break to take her out... for more pics go here and i dont have any measurements..

https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=98517
thanks
post #9 of 11 Old 03-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboytt View Post
it seems like the stock exhaust was designed very poorly:don't know:, it's kind a good cause you can make a lot more power with an aftermarket one, but still got me confused. The header is somewhat 4-2-1 design but it connects cylinder 1 and 2, and 3 and 4 stead of 1-4 and 2-3, primary tubes seems little bit on the big side and the rest of the exhaust is little bit over sized, the under tail tubing were designed to support 210ish hp or so.

My question is to those with aftermarket exhaust, what size primarys on the header, and what type? ( 4-1 or 4-2-1), this big bore and short stroke engine almost asking for a 4-1 header, and I am sure 4-2-1 design is there to get little bit of bottom end torque back in it. And what size is the rest of the exhaust including the rear undertail section.

Thanks.
Virtually all motorcycle inline-4 exhausts join 1-2 and 3-4 before joining the pair. Yes, it results in asymmetrical firing in each pair, but that's the way it's generally done. Doesn't matter stock or aftermarket, either. The Arrow exhaust shown above is very much the exception to this.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #10 of 11 Old 03-29-2011, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Virtually all motorcycle inline-4 exhausts join 1-2 and 3-4 before joining the pair. Yes, it results in asymmetrical firing in each pair, but that's the way it's generally done. Doesn't matter stock or aftermarket, either. The Arrow exhaust shown above is very much the exception to this.
Just cause everybody is doing it doesn't make it correct, I really like that header, it's done right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in