Gen 1: 2004-2005 What's the easiest way to re-install motor with bike lift? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-01-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

What's the easiest way to re-install motor with bike lift?

Ok, I'm on the verge of swapping out frames on one of my 10's and I was wondering what would be the easiest way to go about this since I don't have a bike lift. Also, I will be working alone.

I was thinking of mounting the motor to the frame BEFORE installing the front forks or swingarm. Inserting the 2 bolts that go through the motor just to hold it in place so I could mount the other engine mounts then I would go back and take out the bolts and adjust the tension nut on the mid and rear of the motor.

Any input would help, thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	172829_1903585471183_1288137870_32242472_71073_o.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	143883  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-01-2011, 05:45 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Last year rebuilt a bike, similar situation and didnt have any help. I just got a block and a couple of 2x4's and lifted the motor up there (with a little work and shuffling it balanced very solidly). From there i added the frame, and swingarm, which allowed me to get the rear back on the stand and kind of help balance out the whole thing. I did have to make a couple of small height adjustments here and there, but it all went pretty smooth.

post #3 of 6 Old 03-01-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Thank you very much for that Teeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-02-2011, 12:48 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Not a problem, hope it works ok for ya, i know all bikes are different. One other option if that is not going to work for you is put the frame together, swingarm, triples and forks so you can get it on stands without the motor in. I was able to drop and install a motor this way once. I had to kind of shuffle it under the frame, then lean over the bike and pick the motor up into the frame, then hold it while a friend got supports under it. Although i will admit you have to be pretty strong to do that. But if you think you can get a friend to help for 30 minutes some day, that is another option.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-02-2011, 01:45 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to tasos
From my experience it's better to install the swingarm and the tripple clamps to the frame first, put them on stands (or even put the wheels on) and then mount the engine. I measure the height and put the engine onto a wood/box or something, when is time i just swap it over the engine. It will be alot easier than lifting the frame /engine afterwards. You just need someone to help you for 2-3 mins.

Edit: It works both ways as Teeks said, just this way was easier for me.

You also have to align the engine to the frame, check the manual.

Last edited by tasos; 03-02-2011 at 02:01 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I put my engine on four jack stands and made it level, then bolted the frame on it, then rolled a engine hoist over it with a strap and ran it through the ram air duct, slowly raise it up and install the lower triple tree with forks, then swingarm ect..... Worked better than i thought it would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in