What Would You Do??? 2004 Zx10r Performance - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 01-24-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

What Would You Do??? 2004 Zx10r Performance

Hello i just bought a orange 2004 zx10r with 4,300 miles. I sold the ZX9R and wanted to upgrade. I love the bike and the way it looks but im not a 100% satisified with the way it runs.(i think my old 9r would give it a pretty good run)! I have read all i can about the perfomance parts for the bike. But im NO PRO and dont know much about the computer -fuel injection stuff.

i just want the bike to be at its full potential!

THIS IS WHAT IM ASKING ALL OF YALL : IF YOU HAD $1,000 TO PUT INTO A 04 ZX10R WHAT WOULD YOU BUY TO MAKE IT RUN THE BEST?

**i already got a full exhaust, and a K&N airfilter**
+ no nos or turbos+
some of the things im thinking of are
- 1/5 throtle
- thin head gasket kit
- TRE , but should i go with ivans or GIPRO w/ ATRE
- ignition advancer , dynojet?
- Pcm3
- sprockets
- Buy the PCIII & ignition module through Ivan and you get his map pre-loaded
- a non cali ecu

I know there are some great set ups that work together but which is your favorite or which have you had sucess out of!

im taking you guys word what ever yall say is gonna make the bike go fast and be dependaple is what im going to buy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-24-2008, 06:15 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to axo250
Its good you gave us a price range but how much work you want to do is important also....

1st with your two mods.. you need a power commander. I would also suggest a TRE (Ivan's will do just find unless you just want a gear indicator). Then I could get a -1 tooth front sprocket OR +2/+3 on the rear with a new chain. A timing module would be my next step. You need to get mapped out for the timing/fuel modules then. That should have your 1000 bucks or so.

A thin head gasket and kawi race intake cam would be great combos to do also but I would do the other stuff first. I'd just wait until everything is done before you get a custom map.

Sorry I know I told you just about everything you had wrote down. Really your list is not too far shy of being at 1000 bucks.

Power commander-270-300
Timing Module-300
Custom Tune-300
TRE-60
Front Sprocket-20
Rear Sprocket and Chain-150
Thin head gasket- 35
Intake cam- 100 (they might have just gone up in price though)

I guess if I had to cut any of those out it would be the rear sprocket/chain (unless yours is worn out) and the timing module. However if you don't want to do serious motor work, don't mess with the cam/gasket and do the timing module.

I've got every bit of what you asked about besides the 1/5 throttle insert... if you have more specific questions let me know. I also have head work and a big bore as does garthman285. Maybe it will help to know what you want the bike for. Peak performance is a very vague idea because everyone has a different opinion on what that constitutes.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
yeah the intake cam is up to 300 bux now... I Think it was a computer glitch for a few years or something lol.....

sprockets will defiantly make the bike feel a lot better but getting it tuned is one important thing to do....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-24-2008, 07:05 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

first thing should be the sprockets change. going -1/+2 will make it feel like a new bike. then get the pcIII!
post #5 of 21 Old 01-24-2008, 07:39 PM

Posting Frequency

Brakes
post #6 of 21 Old 01-24-2008, 07:54 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm guessing you're a straight line guy. But anywho definetly get the PCIII and a custom tune. Best bang for the buck is dyno tuning. Also the 1/5th turn and chain & sprocket set are great. I run -1 in the Front and +2 in the Rear with a 520 chain. Also you can probably squeeze in a set of Factory Pro V-Stacks. Despite what some people say they do make a difference when run with pipe, air filter, and tuning.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-24-2008, 08:07 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to jdgun_13
the first thing you need to do is get the suspension dialed in if you ride any corners or trackdays (really no matter what you do).

Start with a steering damper no matter what
PCIII with a good or custom map
Brakes-05 zx6r & up radial master-with some stainless lines & HH pads.

so many things, but all depends on your riding intentions
post #8 of 21 Old 01-24-2008, 10:04 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

NITROUS!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 21 Old 01-25-2008, 03:28 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

IVAN'S TRE,PCIII,OHLINS SH.ABSORBER,ACRAPOVIC EXH(ASK FROM IVAN THE CUSTOM MAP),A N O T H E R REAR SHOCK SPRING.ALL THESE FOR SAFETY,RELIABILITY!!1/5 CONV. O N L Y FOR TRACK USE
post #10 of 21 Old 01-25-2008, 04:12 AM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Well, since you got 1 Post on this site and gave no details of your ZX9r...plus this is important...remember this you bought a ZX10R USED and who knows what problems it has after 4300miles and the abuse from the previous owner.

Now, as far as the zx9r giving your 10 a run for the money that doesn't count anymore. I came off the zx9r modified, full system, special carb upgrades and ran like a beast....but when I first got my 04 10R I only needed to open it up once to know I had something special and much faster than my 9r which at the time I thought I could take on Busas with my 9r ...with my 10R I know I can.

So, my advice to you is go get your bike fully checked out like compression checks, some dyno #s against other bikes the same day. If the bike checks out good it's most likely you don't realize the difference from your 9r with better lower gearing but make no mistake a 10R stock will eat your old 9r even with those great bolt-ons.(also if your in high elevation you may not feel much difference from the 9r to 10R)

Now, with that said try gearing your bike down 1 tooth in the front a 104mph is not needed for a bike and that may be why your a little miss guided between the 2 bikes if your Used 10R checks out to be good and at stock gearing....it may help for your riding style or the comparisons you have been doing so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in