what type of oil - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-08-2005, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

what type of oil

hi i just got me another zx10r and now i got 1000 miles on it now. when i can start using sythetic blend or fully sythetic. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-08-2005, 08:51 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

you can start now if you want or when ever your ready.

"Lead, Follow, or get the hell outta my way!!"

Blue 2004 ZX-10R
- 152.5rwhp 77.6rwtq - more than I need

Red 2003 Jack ROUSH Classic #8 of 50
- 375rwhp 381rwtq
post #3 of 14 Old 07-09-2005, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

thanks, i think im gona start w/ the blend first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-09-2005, 11:49 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

nooooo synthetics kill the clutch plates just buy good ol oil nothing special just oil castrol or somthing. syn's tear the slipper clutch up
post #5 of 14 Old 07-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sczx10r
nooooo synthetics kill the clutch plates just buy good ol oil nothing special just oil castrol or somthing. syn's tear the slipper clutch up
So why does Kawasaki market their OWN Kawachem 100% Synthetic High-Performance Motor Oil (which I use exclusively)?

According to the label, Kawasaki recommends it for sportbikes subject to extreme conditions. Contains esters, sheer stable polymers, etc.

Mal
'12 ZX-14R
'12 ZX-10R
65+ and medicated
post #6 of 14 Old 07-09-2005, 12:07 PM

Posting Frequency

Don't bother with blends. Blends are just a marketing ploy. One drop of synthetic in a quart of dino oil . . . voila! a synthetic blend. Use dino or synthetic. Car stuff works fine. I'm using Mobil 1 15w50 because it is cheap and available. I used Shell Rotella T 10w40 (dino stuff) to break it in.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-09-2005, 12:17 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:

don't agree with that..
whatever oil you buy just make sure in the round label on the back on the container is doesn't say "energy comserving" that can be bad on things in the clutch

05 lime green. Sato slip-on, pc3usb, bmc race filter.
"when ya lose site of why ya ride then you've lost what really matters"---THE MOTORHEAD
post #8 of 14 Old 07-10-2005, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

thank you all for the great information
post #9 of 14 Old 07-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
As a general statement, that's hogwash. I have been using Mobil 1 "car" synthetic oil in my bikes for years, and that includes street bikes and race bikes. Clutch life has been normal. Yes, I have had to replace clutches ... but the original clutch in my '94 ZX9R lasted until 105,000 km before it started slipping, and that clutch did see the occasional hard launch, wheelie, or burnout, so I'd say that was quite normal and nothing to complain about.

There may be SOME oils, synthetic OR NOT, which may cause problems with wet clutches, but the previous formulation of Mobil 1 was OK. The new formulation hasn't been around long enough to comment on it.

If you really want to be sure, just use a synthetic oil that conforms to the JASO MA specification. One such oil is Mobil 1 MX4T 10w40. There are various others from Elf, Motul, etc.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #10 of 14 Old 07-11-2005, 01:30 PM

Posting Frequency

there was actually a study done by a professor at Colorado State on this very topic. motorcycle oil vs. regular oil.. they tested royal purple, Honda oil, castrol syntec, 5 different oils of various grade and price to see whether or not 'motorcycle' oil performed any better in a motorcycle than did 'car' oil. his results were that all of the oils did 99% of their breaking down in the first 1000 miles.. they all lost their viscosity in the first 1/3 of their duration in the engine and did very little breaking down after that. in addition he also found that there was absolutely no-zero-none advantages in running a motorcycle oil as opposed to a car oil. even better than that he concluded that expensive is not always superior, as the oil that performed best in his research was actually a $2 a quart castrol syntec dino-bones standard oil. just something to think about here.

as for running kawi-oil specifically i wont tell you how to maintain your motorcycle as it is yours and you may do with it as you please. however all of the oils come from the same place, such is why your dealer (and us specifically) may at random stop carrying your favorite oil you've used for 50 years. we see little point in stocking oil from 4 different manufacturers that contain the exact same product inside. so dont stress if you dont purchase 'kawi' oil, buy the Honda oil and understand that its the same shit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in