What is best way to wire in (switched) an accessory (radar, gps, etc)? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-28-2005, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

What is best way to wire in (switched) an accessory (radar, gps, etc)?

Maybe we could make this a sticky. I did a search and got a lot of different opinions.

I've seen people wire it right to the battery, but I'm not smart enough to remember to shut it off. Translation...dead battery.

So I need a switched location.

I saw someone else posted something about an accessory lead near the battery. It was supposed to be an empty butt connector. I never saw any replies to see if it worked or not.

I've seen a couple other that have used the fuse box. Not sure how that works. DO you just jam the wire into the fuse connection? What do you use for a ground.

I've seen a few others that spliced into the tail lights. I figure if you're gonna splice into a line, why not just use the horn wiring (positive and ground) and save yourself the trouble of running the wires back? It's right there under the dash and I don't see why you couldn't use the horn ground as your accessory ground as well.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what you guys think. If there is a "best way", I'd like to hear it. Like I said, if we can get a good solution figured out, let's make it a sticky.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-28-2005, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Ok, here's what I have found so far.

The horn won't work. Don't know I didn't realize this before, but the horn wires only get power when the horn is depressed. Duh!!! :) Guess I could ride around with the horn depressed, but then the cops would be on me for a whole different reason :)

Anyway, found that empty butt connector in one of those harnesses behind the battery. Checked it out and only 5v coming out. That's no good then. I'm looking for 12v. Wonder what it's for?

Moving on, There is a relay on a post just to the right of the fuses. It has two wires going into it? Any idea what that is and what's it's for? I get 12.5 volts coming off both those wires using the ground on the battery. Seems like it should work but I would like to know what it is before I tap into either of those wires.

Isn't there supposed to be some sort of accessory wire under there somewhere? I saw a post on it, but no one ever said where it was.

Hey, one other thing. I'm obviously going to be running a power cable to my radar unit from the rear of the bike. Is there a good or better way to run it through the engine compartment? I'm concerned the heat in there may melt the wire. Was wondering if there is a better route to take?

Also, do these bikes have a tank prop. If so, where at? Haven't taken the tank up yet, but looks like I"ll be doing so :)
post #3 of 12 Old 07-28-2005, 11:53 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I just put a shift light on my bike tonight and I pulled the fuse box out, turned it over and used a t-tap to splice the 12v switched to the big brown wire next to the white wire. You can go to raptorperformance.com, click on install/pics, scroll down to the 04/05 zx10r and you can use the same wires.

I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-29-2005, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

finished the job before i got your post.

i went ahead and used the red wire with the grey strip that goes into the top of the tail light assembly. i got a 12 volt reading off that. grounded at the battery. works great.

what's a t-tap connector? is that like a vampire connector?
post #5 of 12 Old 07-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

It cuts the insulation when you close it. You can then plug a spade connector into it. It has real big teeth.

I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-29-2005, 12:18 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

YEAH GO INTO THE TAIL LIGHT SO WHEN YOU TURN YOUR KEY THE POWER WILL TURN ON.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-29-2005, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

ahh, sounds like the vampire connector. valentine supplies them with their units. very easy to use. reliable so far. i have my car, my wife's, and now the bike using their kit.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-29-2005, 06:48 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to crispin
i have een using my plate light wire to power my acc as I do not use the plate light

ya ya ya...
post #9 of 12 Old 07-29-2005, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

what did you use as a ground? That's a good idea on the plate wire. I'll be ditching my tag light soon as well.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-29-2005, 09:51 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputydog95
what did you use as a ground? That's a good idea on the plate wire. I'll be ditching my tag light soon as well.

use the battery for the ground. no better ground on the bike then that.. the wires have to pass through that area anyhow.

05 lime green. Sato slip-on, pc3usb, bmc race filter.
"when ya lose site of why ya ride then you've lost what really matters"---THE MOTORHEAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in