Gen 1: 2004-2005 weird overheating issue - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-27-2012, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

weird overheating issue

I was cruising on the highway today goin around 70mph. I wasn't lookin at my gauges and swear I saw the rpms do its self check cycle as if I just turned the key on. I shrugged it off thinking I was seeing things. Then a few moments later I see my temperature shoot up. Like 180-190-210-230- Hi in a matter of seconds. I shut my engine off instantly worried that my coolant leaked or something. I check my coolant levels and its topped off completely. I check my oil and its perfect amount maybe a little more and blackish color like it should be. I was stumped. I left my bike sitting for awhile for the temp to go down to about 170. I turrn my bike on for 2 seconds, literally, and the temp shot up to around 215. Keep in mind every time the bike shot up in temp the fan did not turn on at all. I also notice my gauge cluster did not power on when I turned the key one time. In my experience, I've seen this as an electrical problem. Improper grounding or a fuse went out. Any and all insight would be nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-27-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Also the water pump is working the coolant was flowing when I rev'd the engine
post #3 of 12 Old 06-27-2012, 07:23 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
Also the water pump is working the coolant was flowing when I rev'd the engine
have you drained the coolant recently?

Faster than a drunk snail on valium!

07 zx10r- stolen
New bike...07 GSXR1000..BMC filter, LOR slip on, 520 conversion with -1, speedohealer, pc3 custom map with xtre settings, Galfer superbike lines front, galfer sportbike line rear, shorty levers, Yami R1 throttle tube for 1/5 throttle, PAIR mod, exhaust valve gone, ecu flashed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

Water temperature sensor acting up?
post #5 of 12 Old 06-28-2012, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
Water temperature sensor acting up?
Possibly this. I'm truly stumped. I went to work for a few hours come back and it works perfectly fine. No idea what happened here wish I had the solution. I should add that I hhave the gen2 gauge conversion on my bike so I don't see if there is any fi light on. Electrical gremlins :\
post #6 of 12 Old 06-28-2012, 09:30 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Possibly this. I'm truly stumped. I went to work for a few hours come back and it works perfectly fine. No idea what happened here wish I had the solution. I should add that I hhave the gen2 gauge conversion on my bike so I don't see if there is any fi light on. Electrical gremlins :
Water temp sensor may or may not throw a code. Make sure you dont have any air pockets in the cooling system...hence the reason I asked if you changed the coolant recently. An air bubble in the system can make it look like the temps are all over the place, and give fast HI readings...

07 zx10r- stolen
New bike...07 GSXR1000..BMC filter, LOR slip on, 520 conversion with -1, speedohealer, pc3 custom map with xtre settings, Galfer superbike lines front, galfer sportbike line rear, shorty levers, Yami R1 throttle tube for 1/5 throttle, PAIR mod, exhaust valve gone, ecu flashed.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-28-2012, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRider View Post
Water temp sensor may or may not throw a code. Make sure you dont have any air pockets in the cooling system...hence the reason I asked if you changed the coolant recently. An air bubble in the system can make it look like the temps are all over the place, and give fast HI readings...
Hmmm I did add some coolant this past weekend. When I was testing if coolant flowing I did see a couple of small bubbles come out. I thought flushed out all the air but I may have left some in I guess. Do you have a technique for getting all the air out? I could try that to see
post #8 of 12 Old 06-28-2012, 09:49 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Hmmm I did add some coolant this past weekend. When I was testing if coolant flowing I did see a couple of small bubbles come out. I thought flushed out all the air but I may have left some in I guess. Do you have a technique for getting all the air out? I could try that to see
I just tap all the hoses while its running....some people squeeze and release them. I keep it on the side stand when I check...this puts the radiator opening at the highest point...so any trapped air pockets should flow up. Pouring in coolant slowly helps push out air naturally too.

07 zx10r- stolen
post #9 of 12 Old 07-06-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

for those who cared i found out what was wrong. a wire to my gauge cluster came loose that was all.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-07-2012, 05:02 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
for those who cared i found out what was wrong. A wire to my gauge cluster came loose that was all.
we all care, i was going to tell you to check your fan i had my fan hitting the spring to my exhaust and had my temp tripping

Tone.R {checkmate}
Do what makes u happy whatever it is.....Roberson Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in