Warning About Sato Frame Sliders........ - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 11-13-2005, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
SP8
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Warning About Sato Frame Sliders........

As some of you may know I had a mild highside not to long ago. This minor get off cost me major money, and I'm still not finished getting my bike to normal. This thread is to give you fair warning about the poorly choosen mounting point of the rightside Sato frame slider. This mount will not take a strong hit. Granted my bike did not have any sliders on at the time of the accident. It did how ever impact exactly where this slider is mounted. I don't have any doubt a good impact on this point will cost you a new head. That's $1,500 dollars for the head alone from Ron Ayers. Thats's not including labor installing head, or swaping the mechanical componets from the old head. I'll let the pics speak.

Sato Right Side Slider

My Cracked Cylinder Head

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-13-2005, 06:42 PM

Posting Frequency

Very sorry to hear about the extent of the damage & cost of the repairs. However, I think everyone's crashes will have different dynamics and I've never seen a frame slider crack the head of the 10R because it was there. This is the 2nd post I've seen where a head was cracked without having sliders. When I crashed my 10 @ the track, I had Sato frame sliders on it. The bike lowsided into the dirt (LHS) at 140mph and endo'd after the rearsets dug into the dirt. The right side sato frame slider was snapped off semi-clean, with zero damage to the head. The remains of this bike were even in a couple of races this year. Then again, the dynamics of my crash will be slightly different from everyone elses. Having had this experience, I would not hesitate to put sliders (even Satos) on a track/race bike. I'll gladly replace bodywork, rearsets, clipons, & subframe over engine parts.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-13-2005, 06:46 PM

Posting Frequency

friend with satos has had 3 gets off, no cracked head yet, they liek to crack plastics tho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-13-2005, 07:17 PM

Posting Frequency

So you crash, NO SLIDERS but warn everyone about something you didn't have coz you THINK it may do something? Hahaha Oh that's gold. How about you warn us all after you have crashed (I hope you don't crash ever agin, but for the purpose of this) WITH the sliders and THEN tell us what DID happen, instead of what MIGHT.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-13-2005, 08:00 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

This is the first i've heard of heads cracking. Sorry to hear about this. Are you going to tear the motor down yourself to help cut the cost down.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-13-2005, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
SP8
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman
So you crash, NO SLIDERS but warn everyone about something you didn't have coz you THINK it may do something? Hahaha Oh that's gold. How about you warn us all after you have crashed (I hope you don't crash ever agin, but for the purpose of this) WITH the sliders and THEN tell us what DID happen, instead of what MIGHT.
The point is this mounting point is not strong. I was barely going 30 mph win my back end steped out. The mounting point has no strength behind it. If you ever take a ZX-10R engine apart you would no what I mean. That area is where the cam chain runs, and it's hollow. It's not as strong as say the corner of a engine case supported by the frame. The ZX-10R doesn't use the engine top end as a frame stress member like most bikes including the 04 ZX6R. All I'm saying is you do not want this area of you bike to have a impact at all. Never mind it being a impact focal point due to a slider being attached to it. Your better off with something like a champ slider that attaches to a beefier part of the engine case, and the frame. Sato sliders attach to a bracket, and directly to one of the weakest points of the engine. There is only so much a 1/4 of alluminum is gonna take. Especially when it was never design as a stress member.

post #7 of 14 Old 11-13-2005, 08:41 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to dr_wookiee Send a message via MSN to dr_wookiee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman
No need to be an ass, birdman.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-13-2005, 08:46 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

i have the muzzy's, they seem to be mounted in a good spot

"Lead, Follow, or get the hell outta my way!!"

Blue 2004 ZX-10R
- 152.5rwhp 77.6rwtq - more than I need

Red 2003 Jack ROUSH Classic #8 of 50
- 375rwhp 381rwtq
post #9 of 14 Old 11-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_wookiee
No need to be an ass, birdman.
as birdman might have allot of knowledge about motorcycles I don't think he owns a 10 and working on them from time to time doesn't make him an expert on the 10. Don't get me wrong birdman, I questioned when I first read SP8s thread, but the fact that I own a 10 and been all over the the frame then I realize what he's talking about. Just my .02
post #10 of 14 Old 11-14-2005, 12:46 AM

Posting Frequency

I'm kind of on Birdman's side here. Maybe I'm a little confused so please correct me if I'm wrong as I was planning on getting the Sato's.

You had an unfortunate accident, without the Sato sliders and cracked your head. However you surmise that if you had the sliders, they would have cracked your head?

Do you have or have you seen a set of Sato's mounted on a 10R? Or is this deduction from their website photos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in