Gen 2: 2006-2007 want more top end out of my turbo zx10r - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-27-2012, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

want more top end out of my turbo zx10r

ok so this is bad but after i got the turbo onthe bike , 189 mph comes way way way to fast and the bike wants so much more , i dont want to go with a gear setup for like the salt flats , this bike is a street bike, but i have to have more top end , what if i dropped the rear 2 and went up 1 in the front , would that be a good combo , , is there a system for the front and the rear sprocket ? or should i say rule of thumb ? id really like to see over 200and then some i dont want to loose too much low end though so , any thoughts would be great

2011 zx10r my new toy

(Wrecked )06 zx10r solar yellow , throttlemans 1/5 insert , healtech gipro with artre ,power commander usb yoshi r22 blings ,swing arm extensions 4 inches and last but not least velocity stage 1 turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

what gearing do you have now?

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #3 of 13 Old 08-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

189mph + street bike - why would you want more top end ?!

-rear and +front will get you more top end speed but you will loose pick up at the bottom end. This can make a bike hard to live with when riding on the street especially with turbo lag.

-2 rear and +1 front is a big step in gearing (about the same at -4 or more in the rear),so why not try +1 first (cheap mod) and see how it goes from there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyflash View Post
189mph + street bike - why would you want more top end ?!

-rear and +front will get you more top end speed but you will loose pick up at the bottom end. This can make a bike hard to live with when riding on the street especially with turbo lag.

-2 rear and +1 front is a big step in gearing (about the same at -4 or more in the rear),so why not try +1 first (cheap mod) and see how it goes from there?
I had the same thoughts to begin with but wanted to see where he was already with gearing. Also, the speedometer will stop at 186 or 189, right around there.

Chuck, are you GPS'ing your speed to see what the actual speed is?

I would try stock gearing and see how you like that, if youre not there already. If not, +1 front OR -2 rear. Not both though. Youre going to lose a fair amount of bottom end feeling with that kind of gearing though.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #5 of 13 Old 08-27-2012, 11:42 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

gearcommander.com is your friend.

I agree baby steps. When tuning change one thing at time. It makes it easier to see what your doing. Change the front sprocket first because it changes largest effect. If your want more or less gear you can always go a tooth in the either direction in the rear.

my gen2 is geared down and will read 189 and stop. GPS it to find out what your actually doing.

War is about killing people and breaking things. It ain't the olympics. Its not supposed to be fair. Tom Clancy

ialsodontknowwhynewpeoplecantseperatetheirthoghtss owecanreadthemitmakesitunweidlyandannoyingtryingto decipherwhattheyaretryingtosaysoiusuallyjustmoveon atleastyouusedpuncuationthoughsocongratsonthatbutm aybeinthefutureyoucanhelpusalloutbecauseyouoranyon eelsewillgetmorerepliesifyoudontwriteonebigrunonth atsimpossibletoread

Last edited by sam_b03; 08-27-2012 at 11:45 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-27-2012, 11:57 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I've got an 18 tooth front sprocket and 39 1st gen rear sprocket for more top end, they are available, look them up.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-28-2012, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

im running stck gears . not gps jusr spedo reading . the question ! why more? its got a turbo lol but just my preference

2011 zx10r my new toy

(Wrecked )06 zx10r solar yellow , throttlemans 1/5 insert , healtech gipro with artre ,power commander usb yoshi r22 blings ,swing arm extensions 4 inches and last but not least velocity stage 1 turbo
post #8 of 13 Old 08-28-2012, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

like.the idea go up 1 in the front and see how that goes . small steps

2011 zx10r my new toy

post #9 of 13 Old 08-28-2012, 06:02 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

definently give the +1 a shot, and get your speed GPS'ed too because it stops reading at 189 no matter how much power and gearing you throw at it.

post #10 of 13 Old 08-28-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

yea it sucks it only reads up to 189 , so gonna check into something that will be permantally on the bike for true speed

2011 zx10r my new toy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in