Gen 2: 2006-2007 Voltage Regulator Removal tips??? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-20-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Voltage Regulator Removal tips???

Hey Guys,

My voltage regulator.rectifier just crapped out on me the other day. I have the new part and have located the old part. Can anyone give me a tip or instruct me on the best way to get this off? Its behind the rear shock and its quite tight for me to get my hands in there. I cant seem to get a socket on the back bolt or the front for that matter.

I assume there is a easy way to do this.. someone please enlighten me

I'm located in Canada, anyone there feel free to txt or phone me with tips 902-698-3103

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

First of all, be patient and work slow. I have big hands and it was a major pain in the butt. I tried various tools until I found what would work.
Just go by the directions in the service manual. If you need it download it from this site.
I ended up cracking the plastic that is the plug cover. A small piece broke off. I hope that this does not leak water. So far so good.
Good Luck!
post #3 of 9 Old 04-20-2012, 06:07 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

1/4" drive socket & univeral joint. Tight but it will work. Take your time like willster said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

(Buy a small ratchet. You can buy one for less than $10. bought mine at NAPA. It's about 3 inches long and fits very well) I am not a mechanic and they may have a better idea. This is my experience.

Disconnect the 2 rectifier connectors. they just plug in.
Remove the 1 rectifier bracket bolt.
Remove the rear brake reservoir mounting bolt to give you some room to work.
Remove the 2 rectifier bracket bolts and take the rectifier together with the bracket off
Remove the 2 rectifier bolts and separate the rectifier and bracket.

This is a 20 minute job that took me 4 hours because I didnít have that small ratchet. Once I bought the right tools there was nothing to it.

I understand there is a recall on the retifier so you may want to call the dealer to see if they will replace it free. Save yourself $200. This is really no big deal but because there is very little space you may want to ask a mechanic how they get their big hands in there to remove those 2 bolts.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-20-2012, 07:32 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidZX10R View Post
(Buy a small ratchet. You can buy one for less than $10. bought mine at NAPA. It's about 3 inches long and fits very well) I am not a mechanic and they may have a better idea. This is my experience.

Disconnect the 2 rectifier connectors. they just plug in.
Remove the 1 rectifier bracket bolt.
Remove the rear brake reservoir mounting bolt to give you some room to work.
Remove the 2 rectifier bracket bolts and take the rectifier together with the bracket off
Remove the 2 rectifier bolts and separate the rectifier and bracket.

This is a 20 minute job that took me 4 hours because I didnít have that small ratchet. Once I bought the right tools there was nothing to it.

I understand there is a recall on the retifier so you may want to call the dealer to see if they will replace it free. Save yourself $200. This is really no big deal but because there is very little space you may want to ask a mechanic how they get their big hands in there to remove those 2 bolts.
the recall as I understand is on the gen3..not the 2 like it should be....
post #6 of 9 Old 04-20-2012, 07:48 PM
vr6
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantichemi57 View Post
Hey Guys,

My voltage regulator.rectifier just crapped out on me the other day. I have the new part and have located the old part. Can anyone give me a tip or instruct me on the best way to get this off? Its behind the rear shock and its quite tight for me to get my hands in there. I cant seem to get a socket on the back bolt or the front for that matter.

I assume there is a easy way to do this.. someone please enlighten me

I'm located in Canada, anyone there feel free to txt or phone me with tips 902-698-3103

Thanks
Tried to call you...

There is only two bolts and they are on the rectifier.

I made the mistake of removing three bolts. The three bolts are part of the bracket that hold the rectifier.

I forget if I used a socket with an extension or a box wrench...

It was a pain in the tail but I got the damb thing off...

I had a cold drink by my side

As others have said, take your time...

if your bike is GEN III is covered under recall parts and labor at the dealer
post #7 of 9 Old 04-20-2012, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

It's all done... well said, pain in the behind.. I really hope it never dies again because I don't want to deal with it!

I did call the dealer prior to buying the part and it wasn't covered..

Anyone with a gen 2 and a multimeter care to give me an Idle volt reading and 4000rpm reading to see if I'm getting what I need outta this thing?

at idle im at 12V, at 4000rpm It goes to 12.50ish then climbs by .01 every second up to 14... odd Is my stator gone too?
post #8 of 9 Old 04-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantichemi57 View Post
It's all done... well said, pain in the behind.. I really hope it never dies again because I don't want to deal with it!

I did call the dealer prior to buying the part and it wasn't covered..

Anyone with a gen 2 and a multimeter care to give me an Idle volt reading and 4000rpm reading to see if I'm getting what I need outta this thing?

at idle im at 12V, at 4000rpm It goes to 12.50ish then climbs by .01 every second up to 14... odd Is my stator gone too?
Again I am not a mechanic so be careful with my advise but it sounds like your battery may need replacing.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-25-2017, 10:15 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in