views on the zx10r kayaba suspension - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 02-15-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

views on the zx10r kayaba suspension

what do you guys think of your kayaba forks and shock?any complaints?ideas for improvement?good points concerning performance,looks etc?
any features youd like to see?
any info greatly appreciated!
cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
Talking

Never heard of it. Thats not sayin much though...

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

post #3 of 21 Old 02-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Quality of components seems OK but the stock settings are way off the mark. Too much preload and too much compression damping at stock settings. It would be nice to have most rider's preferences to be somewhere near the middle of the adjustment range rather than at one end.

Questions of how well the damper's valving matches requirements are best asked of someone who knows more than I do. After adjustment, it's good enough for me.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 02-15-2005, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

thanks for the reply.appreciate it
post #5 of 21 Old 02-16-2005, 09:12 AM

Posting Frequency

I agree with go faster, this bike was not setup for a 160lb rider...I weigh 155 and have backed out my preload and backed out most of the compression. The rebound also needs to be turned in to slow the action down. I would like to see less stiction, improved valving, straight rate springs as stock, and high low adjustable shock...if I had my choice. Even the magazines said it "we want a ramped preload adjuster on the rear shock or easier access to the adjusting nuts, one of the two" And tell kawasaki to include a spanner in the tool kit!!!

Basically, I want yamaha suspension on a kawasaki frame and motor with eithers brakes.

Do you work for kayaba? After the 636 went to showa it will be interesting to see if the 10r also makes the switch. Not knocking kayaba but all the bikes you hear about with stellar front ends are showa (GSXR & Ducatis)

Last edited by BNninja; 02-16-2005 at 09:18 AM.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-16-2005, 10:31 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

remove the top-out spring completely.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-16-2005, 04:24 PM

Posting Frequency

You done this?
post #8 of 21 Old 02-17-2005, 12:55 AM

Posting Frequency

I like the Kayaba setup on my 04 10R waaaaay better than the stock setup on my 04 636. The 10's rear shock actually does its job supporting my 205lbs without any wallow or drama. The forks have bad stiction if you back the preload out >= 5 lines showing and push them to 75% of travel. The stiction is less noticeable @ 4 lines and nonexistant w/ 3 lines of preload. I'm in no hurry to do Ohlins front/rear (I LOVE Ohlins forks BTW) because I can def. live with the stock components (at least thru my 1st race season).
post #9 of 21 Old 02-17-2005, 02:03 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

It would be nice if all their adjusters were position versus click type. Their is no greater annoyance than being between clicks. Or if the must, have finer adjustment increments other than the 1/8 turn or 1/4 turn versions.

Why is it that a proper valve stack can't be used. All that high speed compression is just unnecessary. A higher flow valve as in the showa would be nice and help with the comp and rebound crosstalk. And lower the hydraulic bottom out area.

Out back, what is up with the crazy amounts of rebound the newer socks have?
Personally I like rear spring collars as they are more adjustable and you're not locked into where the ramp step leaves you.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-17-2005, 06:51 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Question for your friend at Kayaba. Does he know why Kwak (or possibly Kayaba) went with a front axle setup that pinches the forks together, and creates so much stiction? I haven't seen another sport bike do this in years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in