Valve cover gasket leaking oil - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-06-2006, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Valve cover gasket leaking oil

My '06 with less than 7k miles is weeping oil out of (I believe) the valve cover gasket. It's leaving running oil marks on my fairings along both sides of the bike. I didn't take the plastics off yet, but I can see and feel the oil leaking out along the whole gasket from side to side.

Looking at the bike from here:

Closeup(fuggin camera died after one lousy pic!), it's leaking here:

The oil level is slightly above the halfway point in the sightglass, but nothing absurdly high. I think it's just some loose bolts. Hopefully not the gasket itself. Either way, I plan on taking care of this myself because I have no faith in the mechanical skills of any of the retards working at any dealership. I'll check first, just to see what kind of response I get from them. Basically, all I want to know is WHAT ARE THE TORQUE SPECS FOR THE BOLTS FOR THE VALVE COVER GASKET? Any other opinions and suggestions are of course welcome as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-06-2006, 06:05 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to colinmitchell111
Even if you dont like taking your bike to the stealership, this is still a warranty issue and it will be fixed for free. Thats why they give us warrantys, use it!
post #3 of 10 Old 08-07-2006, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Problem is I suspect the block-offs might cause the dealer to say that they're the problem, warranty doesn't cover it, pay us $xxx for the labor we just did. Any possibility the block-offs could cause too much pressure to build up and blow the gasket at the valve cover??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-07-2006, 06:00 PM

Posting Frequency

Lololol!!! I have the same color bike as you and after 600 miles I had the exact same problem as you are having. A little residue of oil was on the side faring and you can see where it's wet on the mating surface of the valve cover to the head. Take it in man!!!I took mine in and I had it back 3 days later.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwill
Problem is I suspect the block-offs might cause the dealer to say that they're the problem, warranty doesn't cover it, pay us $xxx for the labor we just did. Any possibility the block-offs could cause too much pressure to build up and blow the gasket at the valve cover??
No. If you blocked the positive crankcase port in the air box (big hose at the back)then that would do it.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10ragentblack
Take it in if you still have the warranty. I have replaced my valve cover gasket myself twice now since the first time it was leaking i am not sure why but the second time the dealer didnt put it on correctly after the valve adjustment and such.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-07-2006, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX06'10r
Lololol!!! I have the same color bike as you and after 600 miles I had the exact same problem as you are having. A little residue of oil was on the side faring and you can see where it's wet on the mating surface of the valve cover to the head. Take it in man!!!I took mine in and I had it back 3 days later.
Thanks, it's good to hear someone else has had the same exact problem. But, I want Kawi to wash my bike after the fix it. Fuggin oily shit smearing everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1killer1liter
No. If you blocked the positive crankcase port in the air box (big hose at the back)then that would do it.
Okay, another good piece of info. Yeah, I don't have the crankcase plugged off. I was reading some searched posts about the block-offs and some people were also skeptical of them causing trouble though; specifically mentioning blowing seals(not the animals) and gaskets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10ragentblack
Take it in if you still have the warranty. I have replaced my valve cover gasket myself twice now since the first time it was leaking i am not sure why but the second time the dealer didnt put it on correctly after the valve adjustment and such.
I'm more assured of taking it in to the dealer now that I have some helpful info that it's not the B/O's. But I'm actually waiting to hear back from Ivan to see if he has any input or has had any similar complaints.

Thanks guys.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

My 04 leaked from the valve cover gasket. I replaced it when I pu the thin head gasket in and degreed the intake cam and it hasn't leaked yet. I also have the block off plates.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-20-2006, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Update

Just got my bike back from the dealership Friday night. They had it for 10 days for an hour job. No bolts were loose, the gasket wasn't split, cracked or warped. No rhyme or reason was percievable as to why it was leaking. Rode hard today, with no trace of a leak. They fixed it; good for them.

On the other hand, besides having my bike for ten days, they never called me back when the said they would, kept saying the bike would be done the next day for a week straight, they also put 33 miles on my fuggen bike, lost a couple rubber gromets that hold on the black plastic covers around the speedo/handlebar area, and left some faint scuff marks on the "hips" of the tail section. I don't recommend taking your business to WOODBURY POWERSPORTS in NJ. I'm f*cking pissed!
post #10 of 10 Old 08-20-2006, 09:19 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Did they have an explanation as to why they put 33 miles on the bike? That seems like a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in