Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

valve adjustments????

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  FAF 
#1 ·
who has done one? how hard are they? when should they be done? just post general info please :cool:

thanks in advance
david

#21 ·
So they were all in spec, does that mean you wait another 16,000 miles to check them again?

If they were close to being out of spec will the last that long?

My bike has 17,000 miles on it (gen 2 06) its running so good I don't want any shop to mess with it. I have had other Kawi owners tell me they had their first valve check at 30,000 and everything was fine.

I think the companies do this to cover themselves......I had my TL checked at the recommended milage 16,000 everything was in spec bike has 50,000 on it, thinking about getting it checked now but it still runs great......

Dropped off my CBR1100xx to be checked...the shop said they did it but checking the nuts, bolts and screwws later looked as if nothing had been touched...went on to put 80,000 miles on it and still running fine, never had them checked again

what to do :dontknow:

#5 ·
sorry about that guys! so you checked yours at 15k and they were all straight???? i thougth it was a ever 5k miles thing????

#7 ·
im guessing you will hear it??? lol

#11 ·
I did mine as 12k (kilometres) on the '04 10R. About 6 of them needed swapping out to come right back in the middle of the range, but none of them were "out" of tolerance.

24K (kays) is by the book, but it's up to you if you do them earlier. It's a bit of a pain in the arse to get down to it, but by the time you've gone to the trouble of changing spark plugs in the 1st gen it isn't a huge deal to keep going. Once you do it once it becomes much quicker, but the first time does take quite a leap of faith and plenty of patience.

#13 ·
i only have 1700 miles on my 05 10r got it 2 months ago. a valve tick..(at least thats what i believe it to be) started happening about 200 miles ago and it seems to be slightly louder now, anyhow should i go to the trouble to check em? Will it hurt the 10r motor much if i ignore it for a while? and should i even be getting ticks at that low mileage? :eek:ccasion1

#14 ·
most if not all kawasaki motors have valve noise. Its not just the 10. I wouldnt even think about doing a valve adjustment at 1,700miles. Like everyone else says....you probably wont find one out of spec. I've done plenty of valve adjustments at 10-15,000miles without any valves out of spec.

#15 ·
I had the dealership do mine on my old 6R and ended up paying a chunk of money for them to tell me they were within specs. I think I'm going to do mine on my own this time. Just takes a lot of time from what I understand. I think I have around 7500 on my bike and I probaby won't check them until 15,000 and it's making noise now...I'm going to try to roll my bike back in 5th gear 6-8 feet like they say to help eliminate some of that ticking sound tonight.

#16 ·
Yer injectors maybe doin a lil of that tickin as well..For a kawi a lil tickin is the norm..

#18 ·
Go to a dealer..or a known tuner..letem have a listen..Dont sit here waitin for an answer...

#19 ·
sorry guys i know this is a old thread, but all i could find with options, i have a 04 10r and the mileage is just over 17000, and pending the gear im in, i can hear the valves make that rattle. mostly in first-third pending what im doing, granted its oil change time so i will be doing that this weekend, and it might make a difference. but im seeing that the normal change is about 24k for valve adjustments which i figure is based on your riding, and i plan on track days soon and dont wont to end up with motor problems after investing that money for hotels and track fees for the motor to mess up over valves.

as for a turner in town we dont have one ill end up in memphis or birmingham for someone to do it.

as for a shop to do the adjustment ? i have one guy i " trust " to do but the preformance is not affected by the valves but i do not wont this to be the calm before the storm.

any ideas or thoughts. ?

#20 ·
i have a 04 10r and the mileage is just over 17000
I'm in Aus, therefore I quoted in kilometres. 24,000km = 14,900 miles. So if you have 17,000 miles yes, it will definately be due for the shims. Not a huge job technically, just time consuming to get in there and then put it all back together. If you're giving it to a shop to do I'd start saving your pennies, it'l probably be in the vicinity of 5 hours of labour. The shims themsevles are cheap, prob less than $5 USD each.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.