twin low and high beams 04-05 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-05-2008, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

twin low and high beams 04-05

I am in the middle of fitting dual filiment globes to my 04-05. Using h4 globes cut down I am going to fit a switchable relay to use both globes together low then high beam. Has any one done this mod.
I have run two extra wires inside the headlamp to link both sides high and low and have decided to make a loom to plug between the headlight loom and main front with no cutting in case I go std again. I am also fitting halos and a cut out to switch the park light and halos off and then the headlights off.
So far all has worked on the bench and I cut the low beam little centre reflector to be the same as the high, I am also painting the inside silver like the high not mat black like the low.
I am going to try the low beam wire to power the two globe set up then use the high beam wire to switch my relay. The only probs I can see is if the std wiring wont handle two globes but it seems to anyway by the loom diagram. (if it lacks the power I will just have to use the low beam to supply a direct current relay I guess straight from the battery) or a over heat of the whole headlight which I think will be safe as it will be still less heat than hids.
So far the cost has been two h4 globes,one switching relay and wire terminals etc.
The headlight is apart for halos but I think you could get the two wires in with it in one peice. I'll keep adding hastles etc as I go.
Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

I have a similar mod on my bike, but I bought a kit from a guy in Dallas, Texas. His handle is speedracer138 on kawasakiforums.com, but I don't know if he is still active on it. I've had my mod for a while now and it works great, I highly recommend it.

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

You are going to have trouble with the shape of the reflectors. I'm thinking the low beam done in this manner won't have a sharp cutoff to avoid blinding other drivers as required by both DOT and ECE regulations.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
You are going to have trouble with the shape of the reflectors. I'm thinking the low beam done in this manner won't have a sharp cutoff to avoid blinding other drivers as required by both DOT and ECE regulations.
I did have to readjust the headlights after I made the change, but I've passed two inspections since the change and have had nary a problem due to the reflectors. (Your mileage may vary however) I have better night vision with a better light spread, high or low beam. Massive difference when both lights are on, and you can be seen during the day without blinding everyone. I'll never have another motorcycle with only one headlight that works on it when it has two.

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-06-2008, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

twin lights

So far the headlight doesn't look too bright on low beam the globes are the same as my aprilia and fireblade which dont have a "front cup reflector" over the globe at all. They both seem a bit brighter than the 10r still and I may rip the reflector cups right out.I ended up just using paint remover to clean off the mat black paint in the low beam. The low beams on the h4 globes have their own little shroud inside which seems to direct the beam more downwards. I now have to finish the switch brackets which is going to hide the relay behind it and carries the two switches. The switches are both not really needed but I wanted to switch the headlights off and have added one to switch off the front park lamps which will also kill the halos.I have made the halos plug in so I can unplug them and put clear park globes(instead of the coloured) back in for an inspection at any time. So far its all good!
post #6 of 14 Old 08-06-2008, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

The h7 globes have no little shroud inside the globe at all and thats why Kawi used the reflector to make a low beam out of a high beam globe I reckon! Still I dont know who gave the go ahead for a single light when it looks crappy no fn cars drive around with one low beam so why should we? I hope these lights stun all the possums on high and they fall from the trees at night!!
post #7 of 14 Old 08-19-2008, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

All done now works great. I can switch the headlights completely off with halos only or two low beams or two high beams. Heaps better two switches two relays and a plug in loom between the factory plug two h4 globes cut with snips. No cutting of any factory wires.I can send a simple diagram if anyones interested. Link
post #8 of 14 Old 08-19-2008, 03:37 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Maybe you could post a how-to for this mod, it looks better than the single headlight setup and it provides better lighting too.

I sure could go for that one myself if i knew how.

ZX-10R

>> scary fast
post #9 of 14 Old 08-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Can you point the bike at a white wall and take a picture of the beam pattern on low beam?

There should be a sharp cutoff line, bright underneath that line and minimal light above that line (this is what minimizes dazzle to other drivers), and the cutoff line should rise up a little towards the right (to illuminate road signs) ...

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #10 of 14 Old 08-19-2008, 06:11 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I'd like to see pictures of the results of this mod....

I just run around with my high's on all the time...hehe

05 ZX-10R Green *SOLD* - Champs Frame Sliders, Swingarm Spools; Clear Alternatives Integrated Taillight; Clear Euro Signals; H7 Silverstars ; 1/5th Throttle Mod; Ivan's Block Off Plates; Hyperpro Steering Damper; OEM Solo Seat Cowl; Hindle Ti High Mount Exhaust shortened 4 in; SuperLED green running lights, LEDMods.net Green Speedo; GIPro gear indicator w/ TRE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in