Turbo Questions? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Turbo Questions?

K so i think this winter im gonna buy a turbo setup.Ive wanted one for a while and feel i have enough years of ridin under my belt and some money to buy one but i have a couple questions.

1. Is there anyway to conceal the air filter?
2. Can you still run some sort of slipon exhaust as the cops around here arent to friendly to open exhaust? How loud is a typical turbo setup

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks a bunch

Mods: Full Arrow, Front Clear Signals, GPR Stabilizer, PCIII, Smoke Windscreen, Vortex Spools, Solo Cowl, Pazzo Levers, Homemade Undertail, Secondaries Removed, K&N Filter,-1+2,Wheelstripes,Powdercoated Rearsets/Pegs,White Gauges,HID'S,Alth Rotors,Steel Braided Lines, Nissin Radial Master,Lens Covers,Shortened Pipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Retired post whore

Posting Frequency

There are several members here that are very knowledgeable with turbos (Vince10r, hesaves, redline), maybe they will chime in and answer some of your questions.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmond Burke (1729-1797)
post #3 of 10 Old 10-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Turbo is a little louder than a slip on but not louder than a d&d slipon exhaust. Because of the turbo being in the exhaust system. As far as a full exhaust system to quite it down im working on building a kit for the zx10 with a custom slip on since no manufacture is making one at this time.

Im working on concealing a filter as well i found one i just need to see if it will work on turbo im planning on using for the kit.

Last edited by turboten; 10-29-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-29-2008, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboten View Post
Turbo is a little louder than a slip on but not louder than a d&d slipon exhaust. Because of the turbo being in the exhaust system. As far as a full exhaust system to quite it down im working on building a kit for the zx10 with a custom slip on since no manufacture is making one at this time.

Im working on concealing a filter as well i found one i just need to see if it will work on turbo im planning on using for the kit.
Thanks for the help. Please keep me posted as this will probably be my winter project and still have lots of time lol.

Mods: Full Arrow, Front Clear Signals, GPR Stabilizer, PCIII, Smoke Windscreen, Vortex Spools, Solo Cowl, Pazzo Levers, Homemade Undertail, Secondaries Removed, K&N Filter,-1+2,Wheelstripes,Powdercoated Rearsets/Pegs,White Gauges,HID'S,Alth Rotors,Steel Braided Lines, Nissin Radial Master,Lens Covers,Shortened Pipe
post #5 of 10 Old 10-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

The turbo keep around 30% of sound. You can run with short slip on. But with full system you will lose some power, if you compare with short straight open exhaust. I lose 10whp at 8psi with full system vs staight pipe, but it's less noise for daily ride and no problem with police. Check the link

https://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57449

You can buy a short K&N air filter for don't cut the fairing. I cut my K&N air filter for sleeper look.

ZX9R TURBO 00 : J.E. Forged Turbo Pistons, Ported Head, Cometic Head Gasket, Adjustable Cam Sprockets, Barnett Clutch, Intercooler, W/M Injection, 2 Stage Boost, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Dynatek Ignition....
post #6 of 10 Old 10-29-2008, 12:43 PM
inappropriate

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to hesaves0211
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi9 View Post
The turbo keep around 30% of sound. You can run with short slip on. But with full system you will lose some power, if you compare with short straight open exhaust. I lose 10whp at 8psi with full system vs staight pipe, but it's less noise for daily ride and no problem with police. Check the link

https://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57449

You can buy a short K&N air filter for don't cut the fairing. I cut my K&N air filter for sleeper look.
:iamwithst

also, the search button works great

as far as the air filter goes, your best bet for performance would likely be to just deal with it. having a smaller air filter may impact your turbo's spooling or hp output. but what ever you do run an air filter!

1ST GEN-10R 234hp/[email protected], GT2871RS, cometic gasket, tial bov/ex wastegate, BEGI FMU, WALBRO fuel pump,falicon clutch basket,race pak clutch,200/50 pilot,yana-shiki levers,.net wristband, WEGO III,PC3,GPR damper,cbr cals/Galfer SS brake lines,gp shift,1/5 throttle, 2NDARIES REMOVED <<click for how-to, *R.I.P D.J 10 Apr 04*

Last edited by hesaves0211; 10-29-2008 at 12:50 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-30-2008, 07:23 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Build your motor. Including a clutch basket!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get the biggest huffer you can fit
post #8 of 10 Old 10-30-2008, 10:04 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Can you run a turbo bike in the rain? Meaning, will it malfunction due to water getting into the air filter then the motor?
post #9 of 10 Old 10-30-2008, 10:10 PM

Posting Frequency

no different than the water getting in the ram air, through your filter and in your engine.

Don't see why you would run it in the rain though.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineiac1008 View Post
no different than the water getting in the ram air, through your filter and in your engine.

Don't see why you would run it in the rain though.

It's not a problem, i push some water in my motor with my Water/Methanol system.

ZX9R TURBO 00 : J.E. Forged Turbo Pistons, Ported Head, Cometic Head Gasket, Adjustable Cam Sprockets, Barnett Clutch, Intercooler, W/M Injection, 2 Stage Boost, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Dynatek Ignition....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in