Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Tuning options? Woolich, FT,.....?...?

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Twistedsocal13 
#1 ·
I'm trying to sort through tuning options. I've seen Woolich and Flash Tune..... what else is out there and why is one better than the others. I don't want to open a can of worms, I just want the down-low before making the purchase. I've found a pretty good deal on a flash tune bike side setup but the Woolich community seems to be a bit larger and more involved. Are there other options that I've missed.

#3 ·
I don't know these answers anymore, but here is what I would want to know:

Do I have to be connected to the internet to flash a bike? With Woolich last time I checked I didn't, but maybe this has changed. I know I leave the software open to avoid the loading time.

Can I return the ecu back to a condition another program can flash it? meaning if I flash with FT and I visit a tuner with Woolich, can the Woolich tuner flash my bike? Is there a way to essentially "own" my ecu again.

Other than those two items both of them do essentially the same thing. I am not sure if they offer anything different on the model bike you have.

#8 ·
f

It’s funny how everybody on this site wonders why it’s so dead with responses to questions like this. Believe it or not some may want an opinion from summer 2019 not March of 2016 when this bike and it’s tuning options came out. If I were the op I’d go to the various fb and ig pages that actually want new posts from new people if even if they might have been discussed 3 f ing years ago. The “Use the search button” was a fine response when the site got more than 1 posts a week. ✌

#6 ·
I went with the Woolich USB M v3 package. The main reason being that they seem to have a much more active community than the other choices. I appreciate all of the replies, even the not-so-informative (prickish) one. I guess I was just hoping maybe there were more options to choose from but it doesn't seem so. I guess I could have included that my bike is a 2019 so no-need for the blipper but for those who don't already have it, I could see where that would be a big plus, I love it on my bike.

#11 ·
Site is dead because no one wants to actually have a conversation.

Hopefully that because everyone is out enjoying their ZX10rs..... Not because people left to buy V4s and BMWs....

As for flash tune options, you can have Woolich, or FTECU, you can send your ECU out to a shop like EDR or Nels Byerdorff, or you can do it yourself with a file that's "close" from someone else.

For me and mine, I have Zx10rr, BMW S1000RR and my Ninja 400 all flashed and tuned on a dyno with FTECU at a race shop. EDR for me.

Your mileage may vary. Pick the option you like.

#12 ·
Again, thanks for the replies that were actually informative, constructive, and NOT PRICKISH. I'm not a noob to tuning in general, I have built and tuned a number of cars and back in the carb days, a number of bikes. I am a noob when it comes to the zx10 scene and newer street bikes. I've been out of street bikes for a good 15ish years. I have a zx7 that's been sitting in a deep dark corner of a garage for quite a while. Throughout the 90's I owned a number of bikes, some I wish I still had. I recently decided to get back into it. I went shopping and came home with an H2sx....less than a month later, 2 days shy of my first payment, it was ran over and dragged across a parking lot. Insurance paid it off and now I'm the owner of a brand new zx10. Yes, this topic has been touched on in these forums but not recently. Before asking the question, I did use the search function and it turned out fruitless which is why I asked the question.

#13 ·
In the end, you want a tune/flash that will let you remove the flapper valves without throwing a code (exhaust valves and intake air flap) as well as remap the electronic throttle valve (The ETV is what controls the throttle...your wrist tells the ECU what you want, but the ECU tells the ETV what you get)

Other recommendations for a Gen5 are progressive throttle tube, and -1 front sprocket, +5mm rear ride height, and raise the triple to the top of the fork tubes. Oh., and run a 200/55 tire.

#14 ·
#15 ·
Rapidbike EVO 8 injector loom,because I have a Aussie gen4 with a lambda sensor I decided to go in this direction!using the oem 02 sensor it builds a map after 200+klm(doesn't sample like the a/m Bosch that's available)and I flash it in!it adapts to conditions as in fuel and air changes and I find it great!I purchased the bluetooth device so no usb,no removing fairing pieces to access the unit!Ive kept my reply short and sweet

#16 ·
ft charges to be able to do stuff woolich already allows you to do. Woolich also requires you to be connected to the internet the entire time which I'm not a fan of mostly because my garage is out of range of my wifi. Don't know much about flashtune except that some Dyno people use it over woolich. That would probably be my deciding factor if I hadn't already had a previous bike done with woolich and loved it. Pretty sure either way you are still better off than sending your ECU out to schnitz or brocks. check thier websites and see the list of options they offer and how much it costs to add stuff vs what comes with the base package.

#18 ·
Guys, the forum is nearly a ghost town aside from the random reposted question, the new guys are chomping at the bit to find or get answers and the threads that are already there are often years old. Granted the search should be used first, that is a given but it doesn't always return what your after, it's not like these guys actually know the terminology to use to find the correct stuff and even then, when a ton is returned it's difficult to read through all of it. To each thier own obviously but damn why the hostility? just post a link or answer the question or don't. Why would you want to discourage forum growth? The mods can always merge topics right? I know they have shit to do in real life but a new ask of an old question isn't the end of the world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.