TRE worth doing? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-25-2005, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

TRE worth doing?

So if I understand this correctly, the timing retarder eliminator (TRE) is supposed to allow the bike to run without timing retarding in the first 4 gears. So this allows the bike to accelerate as it should barring emissions and safety concerns.

Benefits:
1. smoother transition on/off throttle in first 4 gears at any rpm.
2. more power in first 4 gears.
3. Bolt on, no splicing (Ivan's).

My questions:
1. How is rideability? Improved?
2. Any adverse affects?
3. When you are cranked over and about to feed the throttle, will the TRE increase smooth power delivery?

I read on the list that some users have an abnormally high idle for the first 20 seconds or so? Awsome how-to install guide in the performance section btw.

For those who did the mod, would you do it again?

Would prefer comments to those who have real world experience using this.

Thanks all!

Tito

04 ZX10R
05 ZX6R

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-25-2005, 02:25 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

In my talking with Ivan, the kawasaki TRE has nothing to do with the timing like it does on a Suzuki but more with bypassing one of the emissions systems in the ECM that cuts fuel off under decel which is what causes the abrupt throttle on the 10.

you also should do the sub throttle sensor mod also at the same time as doing the TRE. Ivan also told me that you really need to have the ability to remap the bike (PCIII) as it will be richer on the bottom part of the map after the mod.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-25-2005, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky
In my talking with Ivan, the kawasaki TRE has nothing to do with the timing like it does on a Suzuki but more with bypassing one of the emissions systems in the ECM that cuts fuel off under decel which is what causes the abrupt throttle on the 10.

you also should do the sub throttle sensor mod also at the same time as doing the TRE. Ivan also told me that you really need to have the ability to remap the bike (PCIII) as it will be richer on the bottom part of the map after the mod.
So to do the "tre" mod properly, I need the tre, sub thottle sensor and power commander? I take it that Ivan sells these the parts to do the sub throttle sensor mod? I ordered the racefit mega slipon, otherwise my bike is bone stock. Some other racefit users on suzukis need the power commander, but other 10r owners with slip ons seem to get by on without. I guess I won't know until I install it (its in the mail!).

Other than checking spark plug colour, how do you check whether its running lean?

Tito

04 ZX10R
05 ZX6R

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-25-2005, 04:03 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

You will not need anything but the TRE and a PCIII. The sub throttle sensor mod is mearly undoing two bolts and turning the sensor in a direction. Ivan goes into great detail about hos to do this mod. You will need some Tamper Proof Torx bits in order to remove loosen the sensor bolts.

The best way to check air/fuel is going to be on a dyno. I know old school types can read plugs, but I gave that up years ago when FI came out.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-25-2005, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
You will not need anything but the TRE and a PCIII. The sub throttle sensor mod is mearly undoing two bolts and turning the sensor in a direction. Ivan goes into great detail about hos to do this mod. You will need some Tamper Proof Torx bits in order to remove loosen the sensor bolts.

The best way to check air/fuel is going to be on a dyno. I know old school types can read plugs, but I gave that up years ago when FI came out.
Thanks sneaky. Excuse my ignorance, but what does the sub throttle sensor mod do? (different that bypassing the exhaust flapper?) What are the benefits? Do you have a link where I can read more about it?

On the dyno, do you hook up an air/fuel meter and watch the ratio as it burns through the rpms? I used to do it this way with my car, but been out of the game so to speak for a few years.... its was still FI though:) How does everyone know what their air/fuel ratio is or whether they are running the best map?

Tito

04 ZX10R
05 ZX6R

post #6 of 13 Old 10-25-2005, 04:17 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

The sub throttle mod is just a matter of turning the sensor to a different position to give the computer a different reading after installing the TRE.

If you have someplace that has a dyno they will have the air/fuel stuff to do the measurements for you. It should be included in the dyno runs.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-25-2005, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
The sub throttle mod is just a matter of turning the sensor to a different position to give the computer a different reading after installing the TRE.

If you have someplace that has a dyno they will have the air/fuel stuff to do the measurements for you. It should be included in the dyno runs.
ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks!

You seem quite knowledgeable on this a/f ratio subject, should I be concerned about not running a PCIII with my slip on?

Tito

04 ZX10R
05 ZX6R

post #8 of 13 Old 10-25-2005, 04:34 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Dont turn the sensor It is not needed I have the dyno charts to prove it. you could fuck up your throtle bodies just put the piece in and seal her up LEAVE THE THROTLE BODIES ALONE!!!! DO NOT adjust the sub throtle senor! leave it in the factory location!
post #9 of 13 Old 10-25-2005, 04:35 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

a pc3 is alway a good idea
post #10 of 13 Old 10-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

sczx10r,
Did you notice any difference in the power from idle up to 5,000rpm when you put the sub-throttle back to it's original position compared to when it was rotated forward?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in