TRE USERS..Gear Indicator…bad NEWS - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 04-30-2006, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

TRE USERS..Gear Indicator…bad NEWS

I installed the TRE this way…let me know if I did something wrong:

1. removed the Green wire with red stripe and black wire male connectors to the supplied connector and re-installed the OEM green connectors and the supplied connector to the TRE.

Result the TRE only displays Neutral. I was surprised it displayed anything as removing the male connector is removing “ALL GEAR VOLTAGES THE ECU RECIEVES FROM THE GEAR SWITCH” according to the schematic and voltage tests…but after other tests I found that the ECU always has 5volts and it appears Ivans TRE just fools it by a resistor to be in “NUETRAL GEAR”. Not 5th gear as most have thought by bringing the voltage down to 4.3volts witch is NUETRAL voltage. It is basically not giving any voltage to the ECU for any gear other than Nuetral.

So I know there will be a lot of questions I will try to answer most of them first to save some time.

1. How do you know the Green/red strip wire is the main Voltage line?

Answer…I confirmed with the bike off with a multimeter and the schematic on page 16-56 that it is direct connection…..by Ivans TRE install instructions.. that line is removed completely from the Gear position switch(GPS) by his instructions and goes through his device strait to the ECU thus killing all voltages that can be gained by going through the Gear selector switch that supplies each voltage by a resistor network(I believe just a resistor to lower the voltage to Neutral voltage from 5volts to 4.3volts which is nuetral).

2. Then what is the black wire for?

The black wire is just a ground wire and that’s why Ivans instructions say it doesn’t matter where you put the wires on the supplied connector as for a resistor it doesn’t matter.

3. Why do other bikes say it’s just to fool a bike that it’s in 5th gear. ..just believe it’s not related to the 10r ECU.

4. Why would a Neutral signal be necessary? Not sure exactly, so far but for neutral there is 3 wires coming from the GPS (Gear Position Switch and one is to make sure it’s in neutral or the clutch is pushed in before the bike can be started and don’t feel it’s related to the TRE)

So, bottom line as it stands right now…my GEAR INDICATOR WILL NOT WORK WITH THE TRE.

Is it over? Maybe for TRE users. Me and Ivan need to have a long talk but believe he will not talk to long as he says “Patent Pending” on his instruction manual.

So, very sorry guys that are TRE users, If the TRE worked as was advertised it would have worked with my unit…this was a total surprise to me and really a 180deg turnaround on how I thought and many others did to how the TRE works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Still here

Posting Frequency

I figured that would be the case, oh well. Maybe you'll find another way. Would be sweet, but I'll go without rather than be annoyed by an accumen.

Ivan did say the TRE works differently for the zx10 and is really to eliminate the abrubt off throttle response.

Sarah Palin and friends can call it a snow machine all they want but Yamaha, Polaris and Bombardier plus the related magazines all seem to call them Snowmobiles.

Snow machines create snow on ski slopes. Just sayin'
post #3 of 30 Old 04-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

keep us informed on what happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 04-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

guess i wont be buying either a tre or the indicator........ now which one to buy????
post #5 of 30 Old 04-30-2006, 06:45 PM

Posting Frequency

Very interesting, don't hesitate to bring more on this, what an eye opener. Sure Ivan will post something about your findings.
post #6 of 30 Old 04-30-2006, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10Miami
I figured that would be the case, oh well. Maybe you'll find another way. Would be sweet, but I'll go without rather than be annoyed by an accumen.

Ivan did say the TRE works differently for the zx10 and is really to eliminate the abrubt off throttle response.

see, I never did figure it would be the case because the TRE was always avdertised by many as fooling the ECU that it's in 5th gear. So, what that suggests is it doesn't mess with the gear position switch at all but later down the line. That is why I thought it will always work as I knew I could tap before it does......but today I found out it is just eliminating the whole thing.

so, I know I said it already and I am sorry guys....even for myself as I was installing the TRE for good as well.

Lets see if Ivan talks to me tomorrow to confirm. I will know whatever he says if it is true by his words because electronics doesn't lie.
post #7 of 30 Old 04-30-2006, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua
Very interesting, don't hesitate to bring more on this, what an eye opener. Sure Ivan will post something about your findings.
hope so, but noticed he never did in this whole project as it relates to his circuit that relates to mine...why? we will seek.
post #8 of 30 Old 04-30-2006, 07:37 PM

Posting Frequency

To "why" or not to "why", that's the question. I think that's how it goes, didn't major in literature.
post #9 of 30 Old 04-30-2006, 08:33 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Actually you can still use it. I am and here is what you have to do.
The black wire is not ground, there is no ground wire. The only way the pot grounds is when the pot engages from the back side is grounds the resistor and completes the circuit. The light green wire is for the neutral signal. (hence don't worry about it). The green with red stripe is the 5v reference for the potentiometer. With the green/red and the black/silver that plug into the tre you can run a tap on the green/red before the tre and still get your 5 volts.
The green/red will now plug into the black wire on the pot. The green/red coming out of the pot will now be your ref. out.
The drawing in the manual is not entirely acurate. It does not show the complete internals of the pot. By doing it this way you will be getting readings the same as the 2-ground that is in the book.
Ex. 1 3.0-3.3
2 1.7-1.89
ex. ex.
hope this helps

He who dies with the most toys wins!
NESBA #24993
post #10 of 30 Old 04-30-2006, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkaw
Actually you can still use it. I am and here is what you have to do.
The black wire is not ground, there is no ground wire. The only way the pot grounds is when the pot engages from the back side is grounds the resistor and completes the circuit. The light green wire is for the neutral signal. (hence don't worry about it). The green with red stripe is the 5v reference for the potentiometer. With the green/red and the black/silver that plug into the tre you can run a tap on the green/red before the tre and still get your 5 volts.
The green/red will now plug into the black wire on the pot. The green/red coming out of the pot will now be your ref. out.
The drawing in the manual is not entirely acurate. It does not show the complete internals of the pot. By doing it this way you will be getting readings the same as the 2-ground that is in the book.
Ex. 1 3.0-3.3
2 1.7-1.89
ex. ex.
hope this helps

madkaw...do you have a TRE so we can troubleshoot together? I am not giving up yet but think together we can find the problem. I have an internal 5v circuit in the gear indicator box I am selling and belive it might be the key to make it all work out so am still looking at options right now...

so, not following you right now but will take a closer look in a bit....thanks for the input and keep it coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in