Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Tranny problems...

1K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  SkyDork 
#1 ·
As many know I went down (lowside) and thought my bike was good to go. Well today come to find out my tranny is acting up bad. 1st to 2nd is ok but 2nd to 3rd is just not there when riding hard. When I am just tooling around using the clutch didnt notice much of a problem but when I get on her 3rd rarely comes. Its like I just shift to second and when I want to go to 3rd the lever goes up but nothing is catching....

So...

#3 ·
I replaced the left side crankcase cover now I have both upper and lower woodcraft before I just had the upper. The right side has the woodcraft engine cover as well...

After the crash we did notice that we had to down shift 5 times to get into first and I was in 3rd when I crashed. So I guess when I went down it kept shifting up and also knocked the rearsets a little loose but not too bad...

#5 ·
Yes some dirt and rocks got in there but I flushed it all out by spraying a bunch of carb cleaner to get all the crap then pouring some oil and let it drain out. I didnt see anything come out or interupt the flow of oil...

No noises at idle no noises while shifting its just when I get on her hard 3rd is not there basically nothing is there the lever just goes up but nothing catches. While riding normal its pretty good though...

#6 ·
hmmmmmmm very interesting.............:wink:

don't panic just yet ok.
possibilities are shift star damage/sticks when under load and doesn't return therefore won't engage into next gear........a shift detent spring could also be a possibility.

BD

#7 ·
Well there just happens to be a full tranny for sale in the classifieds for $175...Could it be that easy to buy a new tranny on bolt the old and bolt on the new?

The guy at the shop said it was probably a bent shitf fork or bent drum...

#9 ·
Well I guess what I dont get is why 1st to second is ok along with 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th but 2nd to 3rd when getting on it is just not there....

Like I said though 2nd to 3rd seems to be ok when just tooling around and using the clutch. Its only when I get on it and blip it to shift or even clutching it when going hard...

#12 ·
#15 ·
#16 ·
Possibly. You need to get in there and inspect the tranny first, before buying parts. I just did my ZX-7/9R tranny in Dec. because it started popping out of second under hard acceleration. Got all the parts from Ronayers.com for cheaper than BikeBandit. Shift drum, forks, rods, etc. ran me about $400 from there and got all the parts in a week. It's not a difficult job if you have a little mechanical know-how and a shop manual, just time consuming.

#17 ·
SkyDork said:
Possibly. You need to get in there and inspect the tranny first, before buying parts. I just did my ZX-7/9R tranny in Dec. because it started popping out of second under hard acceleration. Got all the parts from Ronayers.com for cheaper than BikeBandit. Shift drum, forks, rods, etc. ran me about $400 from there and got all the parts in a week. It's not a difficult job if you have a little mechanical know-how and a shop manual, just time consuming.
SkyDork,

My 05 zx10r is popping out of almost every gear under hard acceleration. I called a dealer and they told me it will cost around $1,200 to $1,800 to fix. So I am looking to do the work myself. Can you please give me any helpful advice? Thanks in advance!!

#18 ·
yehzx10r said:
SkyDork,

My 05 zx10r is popping out of almost every gear under hard acceleration. I called a dealer and they told me it will cost around $1,200 to $1,800 to fix. So I am looking to do the work myself. Can you please give me any helpful advice? Thanks in advance!!
Yeah, that's not good and it will only get worse if you keep riding it. I've never been into the trasmission on my ZX-10, but they're all similar.

There could be a number of things wrong with yours, but if it's popping out of every gear, I would suspect you have a bent shift detent arm or bad return spring (just a theory). If that arm is bent slightly then the gears aren't engaging fully during a shift. If the spring is bad there isn't enough tension on the shift drum to hold it in gear. Hopefully it's one of these 2 things that are the problem because it's a relatively easy fix by taking off the outer crankcase cover to expose both of these items. And they're not expensive parts, either.

Kawasaki undercuts the gear dogs from the factory so I seriously doubt you've screwed up the gears themselves. But, it could be a bad shift drum. That's what was wrong with my ZX-7R. When I took that out, the grove for the second gear shift fork had rounded over and there wasn't a nice clean edge anymore for it to stay in gear. If that's your problem, then you'll have to pull the engine out of the frame and split the lower crankcase apart. It's a labor-intensive process, but not difficult. That's why the shop quoted you th $1200-1800 figure - mostly labor.

If it were my bike, I'd buy the cheaper parts like the return spring and detent arm, replace those parts on my own and see if that fixes the problem before worrying about the major internal parts.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.