Track stock suspension setup? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-03-2005, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Track stock suspension setup?

I'm taking the ZX to Spain for her first track session next month and want to start getting the suspension sorted for this year's trackdays.

I've got 4 days on track and want to start from some decent settings before I play around a bit. The weather in the UK is crap and Spain is great!!! even in Feb!!

I don't know a great deal about suspension but have a reasonable idea as to what I'm looking for in the bike, are there any base "track" settings for the standard suspension that I could use?

Has anyone got any info from magazine articles as to what they have changed? The ones I've seen have either has reworked internals or a different linkage.

I've only got the stock setup and I'm looking to have a fiddle!!!

All help appreciated.

Tim

p.s. - I'm not sure if this should be here or in "race"???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Sto
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Take a look at this :
http://www.kawasakiracing.ca/racetuning.htm
It should help,
if not, last year , when a dozen of magazines where electing the best sport machine, they thight a lot more all the way around the damping's and preloads...
Have fun !
post #3 of 7 Old 01-03-2005, 05:47 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Need more information. What is your experience? How much do you weigh? At least this info can give people a better basis for recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

All of the magazine tests that I have read, have gone in the wrong direction for what worked for ME on the *bumpy* roads around here. On a glass-smooth racetrack then the damping doesn't matter so much and stiff settings can be OK, but on anything else, you need compliance.

I don't know how much you know so I'll start with terminology: "sag" is the amount that the suspension compresses with the rider aboard in normal riding position wearing all gear, compared to the fully extended position (i.e. off the bike and pulling UP on the bike on the end that you are measuring in order to make sure the suspension is fully extended).

As a starting point, set rider-aboard sag to about 32mm front and about 25mm rear. Doing it by sag measurements automatically compensates for rider's weight. Don't be surprised if you have to take OUT a lot of preload at both ends, but particularly at the front, in order to achieve this.

Damping settings can only really be done by feel, but expect to have to soften front compression damping. If you have the bike on a paddock stand, jump aboard, feet on pegs and hands on bars but stand up and then jump up and down. To get a "first guess", front and rear should move up and down evenly. Actually it's best to do this with both wheels on the ground and someone trustworthy holding the bike upright, because the paddock stand attaches well forward of the rear axle so it's not really representative of how much weight is on the rear.

One other thing: STEERING DAMPER.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #5 of 7 Old 01-04-2005, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta xray
Need more information. What is your experience? How much do you weigh? At least this info can give people a better basis for recommendations.
I weigh around 195 pounds, am reasonably experienced on the track and am going racing this year (if that helps). The tracks will all be decent so I'm favouring the firmer setup.

Thanks for the help
Tim
post #6 of 7 Old 01-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

You should still set sag to 32mm front and 25mm rear as a starting point.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #7 of 7 Old 01-04-2005, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster
You should still set sag to 32mm front and 25mm rear as a starting point.
Thanks GF - the sag is always the starting point. - appreciate your comments
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in