Torque it dont dork it. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-23-2010, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Torque it dont dork it.

How many guys and some gals out there have ever seen cracks on a bikes upper fairing where the windscreen bolts up?Or just cracks in a body panel?these are obviously happening due to over tightenig the bolt or screw.This past year racing in florida being in the pits watching some people install their wheels after getting new tires installed,I would just cringe aqt how they would tighten the axels up. Premature wheelbearing ware or failure could occur.Everything on oure bikes has a certain torque spec.These specs were figured out by enginiers and designers.I know that there are a ton of members on this site that torqe every piece of thier bike together as I do.Dont think of it as being anal,think of it as being safe.knowing every thing is just right.Torque specs are in the manual for every piece of youre bike.If you dont have a manual Im sure someone on this site will give you a hand.You can even do a search on the site to download one.Remember torque it dont dork it.

LOR, PCIII,SHARKSKINZ.TECH SPEC,CRG,PZRACING GEAR INDICATOR AND SHIFT LIGHT,VORTEX,OSF REARSETS,MAVIRYK 8 CELL BATT,OHLINS STEERING DAMPER,ROCKWALL CLIPONS,GOODRIDGE BRAKE LINES,COX RACING RADIATOR GAURD,DID GOLD CHAIN,CHAMP CHAIN ADJUSTERS,NISSIN FRONT CALIPERS,ZERO GRAVITY,WOODCRAFT,EBC EXTREME PRO,XT RACING LAP TIMER,T-REX FRAME SLIDERS.GP STYL SHIFT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Here Here, I always use the torque.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-23-2010, 04:39 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Amen to that.

The shop that last did my tires didn't use a torque wrench, and the damn kid that put the back wheel on put most of his weight into it with a 16" breaker bar, and he's over 200 pounds. Pissed me off, they won't get my business again, unless they're mounting the tires and that's it.:headshake

At its core, the Ninja ZX-10R is a motorcycle built for the accomplished rider who can fully appreciate its capabilities--whether put to the test at a racetrack, or merely the focus of bench-racing conversation. It is, by all standards, the embodiment of the ultimate superbike.

Member of The Elite - Growler Group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

People just don't get it though, near enough is good enough for some people.................then they wonder why it's broken!!!

That goes for the trainee mechanic you take your bike to for service!headshake

"If you can't do it, chase someone who can"
post #5 of 16 Old 01-23-2010, 05:05 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

great post/reminder....

BOOM!!! SHAKE AND BAKE
post #6 of 16 Old 01-23-2010, 06:14 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I agree there are parts that you should torque to specs but there are also things that putting a torque wrench on are totally unnecessary.

You mentioned fairings. If someone needs a torque wrench to tighten a fairing bolt correctly they shouldn't be using tools. And I know there are people who cringe at the thought but I have NEVER, EVER used a torque wrench to tighten the oil drain bolt or oil filter on any of my bikes or 4-wheeled vehicles.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-23-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I use a inch pound torque wrench om my fairings. I also torque the drian plug.

LOR, PCIII,SHARKSKINZ.TECH SPEC,CRG,PZRACING GEAR INDICATOR AND SHIFT LIGHT,VORTEX,OSF REARSETS,MAVIRYK 8 CELL BATT,OHLINS STEERING DAMPER,ROCKWALL CLIPONS,GOODRIDGE BRAKE LINES,COX RACING RADIATOR GAURD,DID GOLD CHAIN,CHAMP CHAIN ADJUSTERS,NISSIN FRONT CALIPERS,ZERO GRAVITY,WOODCRAFT,EBC EXTREME PRO,XT RACING LAP TIMER,T-REX FRAME SLIDERS.GP STYL SHIFT
post #8 of 16 Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by green10 View Post
i also torque the drian plug.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-24-2010, 10:06 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by phastone View Post
I agree there are parts that you should torque to specs but there are also things that putting a torque wrench on are totally unnecessary.

You mentioned fairings. If someone needs a torque wrench to tighten a fairing bolt correctly they shouldn't be using tools. And I know there are people who cringe at the thought but I have NEVER, EVER used a torque wrench to tighten the oil drain bolt or oil filter on any of my bikes or 4-wheeled vehicles.
:iamwithst

A little common sense goes a long way. I torque the stuff that matters.

Fairing bolts aren't critical parts and don't require a lot of torque to stay in place.

I've changed enough oil in enough vehicles to just know how tight an oil drain plug should be.

Engine mounts, axle bolts and things of that nature get my torque wrench.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-24-2010, 10:39 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I actually just went out and bought a new one because my old one didn't go high enough. I'm with jtemple, the things that matter to the operation of the bike or my safety get the torqued to spec. Also I stumbled across this website

http://rides.webshots.com/album/516313754BTbBSN

This guy shows how to make a cheap tool to test your wrench's calibration.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in