Torque cyclinder head at 600 mi. service ? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-30-2005, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Torque cyclinder head at 600 mi. service ?

I'm about to do the 600 mi. service on my 2005 ZX-10R. Looking at the service manual under "Bolt and Nut Tightening" it says to torque the "Cylinder Head Bolts". This is a fairly big job because it requires removal of a lot of parts to get to these bolts (upper fairing, fuel tank, air cleaner housing, throttle body assembly, and then cylinder head cover)

Although I'm planning to do the work myself, I called the dealer where I bought the bike to get advice on the cylinder head bolts. He seemed to be surprised and said "we don't normally do that but if it's called for we'll do it." Didn't seem to know how much it would cost.

Question: Is tighening the cylinder head bolts really necessary at the 600 mi. service ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-30-2005, 02:34 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I would double check them....As well as checking valve clearance....I did not do mine at 600 miles....My 05 now sits at 3700 miles and it is one of the numberous things on my list for winter....

If you're not living on the edge, your taking up too much space!
post #3 of 14 Old 12-30-2005, 02:37 PM

Posting Frequency

I have never heard of anyone having this done at the 600 mile service. I have the factory service manual and I can't find anywhere this is mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-30-2005, 02:44 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediasw
I'm about to do the 600 mi. service on my 2005 ZX-10R. Looking at the service manual under "Bolt and Nut Tightening" it says to torque the "Cylinder Head Bolts". This is a fairly big job because it requires removal of a lot of parts to get to these bolts (upper fairing, fuel tank, air cleaner housing, throttle body assembly, and then cylinder head cover)

Although I'm planning to do the work myself, I called the dealer where I bought the bike to get advice on the cylinder head bolts. He seemed to be surprised and said "we don't normally do that but if it's called for we'll do it." Didn't seem to know how much it would cost.

Question: Is tighening the cylinder head bolts really necessary at the 600 mi. service ?
NO!! do not touch the head bolts. The only proper way to retighten the head bolts is to back them all the way out then tighten to proper specs. (by this time you should put a new head gasket in too) I have buddys that work at the dealer. The only thing they basicly do on a 600mi service on a fuel injected bike is change the oil & filter, and adjust the play in the throttle and check brake caliper bolts, just little things like this.

It use to be on older carb bikes, They would adjust and sync. the carbs and all that stuff ( if you ever tryed to sync. four carbs you know its a BITCH!! so better off letting the dealer do it any how).

Anyways I would'nt worry about the head bolts let them be. just don't go putting kragen car oil in your bike

“Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory.” --General George S. Patton
post #5 of 14 Old 12-30-2005, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

It's in the service manual on page 2-42 under "Bolts, Nuts, and Fasterner Tightness Inspection" which says to tighten everything on page 2-43. On 2-43 under the heading Engine it says "Cyclinder Head Bolts".
post #6 of 14 Old 12-30-2005, 03:01 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXTOM
just don't go putting kragen car oil in your bike
sumbitch thats exactly what i use.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-30-2005, 07:36 PM

Posting Frequency

I don't know about the cylinder head bolts but you oughta check the nuts securing the header pipe to the head. They have a bad habit of comin' loose.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-30-2005, 08:05 PM

Posting Frequency

u know how many errors are in service manuals, at honda we fix them on a daily basis.

i dont doubt they want u to retorque headbolts at 600 miles. but i know i wouldnt even if it were true.

Last edited by projekZERO; 12-30-2005 at 08:07 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-30-2005, 08:12 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

14k on my bike, never touched the header bolts or the cylinder head bolts to my knowledge, and i can guarentee when i went in for that so called 600mi service, those fuggers didn't even touch the cylinder, let alone retorque anything. But, if you got time on your hands, take pics and post it in the how to!!!

"Lead, Follow, or get the hell outta my way!!"

Blue 2004 ZX-10R
- 152.5rwhp 77.6rwtq - more than I need

Red 2003 Jack ROUSH Classic #8 of 50
- 375rwhp 381rwtq
post #10 of 14 Old 12-31-2005, 01:22 AM

Posting Frequency

When it comes to the service intervals, I let the dealership do all of them. It's not a matter of whether I can do the work myself or not (I'm an aircraft mechanic). It has to do with liability. If the dealership does all of the services and something goes wrong (god forbid) they'll be liable for the damage. The way I look at it, it's a cheap insurance policy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in