Which tires? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Which tires?

Which tires do you prefer for track use? Slicks or treaded, brand ect...??

How its the Michelin Power one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Dont mess wit White Ninja

Posting Frequency

I haven't done track days in a couple years now but the last tire I used was the 209gpa's and I know they have 211ntec and 211gpas too!

Is it your first track day? If so just go with a dot approved street tire like a powerone,pure,pp2ct,q2,bt16,203's etc etc...You by no means need slicks inless your running advanced

post #3 of 13 Old 06-01-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

No Ive been to the track quite a bit. Im currently running PP 2ct's, but I think Ive reached the limit of what they can handle because towards the end of the day they kept spinning up and felt like their grip was deteriorating fast.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-01-2011, 11:20 PM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBoz45 View Post
No Ive been to the track quite a bit. Im currently running PP 2ct's, but I think Ive reached the limit of what they can handle because towards the end of the day they kept spinning up and felt like their grip was deteriorating fast.
Yes dot approved street/track tires only fair so well. They will grease out on you mainly due to overheating Thats why track/slicks need warmers, harder compounds & they tend to fair better on cycles.

Sounds like your pushing past the pace of your tires...Have you had your suspension dialed in too? That can play a HUGE roll in tire wear/grip.

Oh well I say go get some dunlop d211ntec's or at least a 203! But you could easily manage a power one too!

post #5 of 13 Old 06-01-2011, 11:35 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBoz45 View Post
Which tires do you prefer for track use? Slicks or treaded, brand ect...??

How its the Michelin Power one?
Depends on what you plan to achieve. If you want to start racing, then find out what tires are allowed in the race class you are eligible. No point getting used to slicks if the race class you plan to ride in do not allow them. If you do not plan to race, then go with whatever you feel like. Just remember, slicks would not be allowed on a wet track.

If you feel that you have reached the limits of the 2cts, I would recommend you try the Diablo Rosso Corsa tires next. its the right step before using DOT race tires - especially if you do not use tire warmers. I have used these in the past. Here is my review - https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=100616
post #6 of 13 Old 06-01-2011, 11:40 PM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismaeel View Post
Depends on what you plan to achieve. If you want to start racing, then find out what tires are allowed in the race class you are eligible. No point getting used to slicks if the race class you plan to ride in do not allow them. If you do not plan to race, then go with whatever you feel like. Just remember, slicks would not be allowed on a wet track.

If you feel that you have reached the limits of the 2cts, I would recommend you try the Diablo Rosso Corsa tires next. its the right step before using DOT race tires - especially if you do not use tire warmers. I have used these in the past. Here is my review - https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=100616
I have not been to one "open" track day event where they say you can't use a tire due to class/group; inless your showing horrible wear or theres tread showing If you jump up to anything dot spec for the track BUY warmers

post #7 of 13 Old 06-01-2011, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I think im going to make the jump to more of a race spec tire. Im not into the dual compound tires for track use. I think they are great for the street, but I would much rather have a more aggressive tire for track use. That way I wont have to worry about pushing the limits of the tire and I'll be free to continue to improve my skills.

post #8 of 13 Old 06-02-2011, 06:38 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by abzx10r View Post
I have not been to one "open" track day event where they say you can't use a tire due to class/group; inless your showing horrible wear or theres tread showing If you jump up to anything dot spec for the track BUY warmers
I am talking about entering racing. If you race in the superstock class, you are not allowed to use slicks. What I am referring to is that a lot of people start doing track days with slicks and then are hooked in and want to start racing. Unfortunately, in many club/superstock level races, slicks are not allowed and then these people need to start using DOT race tires which they are not comfortable on.

Last edited by Ninja_10R; 06-02-2011 at 07:08 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-02-2011, 07:07 AM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

Go to a road version of a dot race tire such as the diablo supercorsa or power one. You shouldn't need tire warmers and should last a few trackdays as there suppose to be able to take quite a few heat cycles. I've heard more positive things about the supercorsa's than the others but that pretty much the only vendor we have local so it's a bit biased.

post #10 of 13 Old 06-02-2011, 07:19 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg0987 View Post
Go to a road version of a dot race tire such as the diablo supercorsa or power one. You shouldn't need tire warmers and should last a few trackdays as there suppose to be able to take quite a few heat cycles. I've heard more positive things about the supercorsa's than the others but that pretty much the only vendor we have local so it's a bit biased.

The supercorsa sp or the metzeller k3 would be a very good choice if not using tire warmers. if you prefer slicks, the new pirelli superbike pro is a good trackday tire too and pirelli claims it does not require tire warmers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in