tire size v. suspension adj. question. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-03-2005, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

tire size v. suspension adj. question.

I recently got a set of Dunlop 209 GP's, they are great, the front is stock size, but the rear is a 190/60/17, my bike was set up by Race Tech for the stock front size and a 180/55/17 rear, I had Pilot Race tires before. So my question is with the new tire the back feels really big and I think the suspension should be adjusted for the new tire size, what would be some things to get started with? My thought is the rear shock needs some pre load taken off, and nothing in the front, but i am not very good with these new style suspensions, thats why I had Race Tech do the bike before. So any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-03-2005, 05:55 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Its not that the back is really big!! its that the rear has been raised some 4-5mm due to the 60 series tire for pity sakes, hence the geometry has been altered and not the suspension. Do you have OEM suspension?? if so remove the 3mm shim atop the shock mount which will help, if not remove it anyway.

Has your wheelbase been altered with a different chain/sprocket setup allowing a tallish tire like this to fit?? Do you know if the tire will clear the inner hugger ??(if you still have it)

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-03-2005, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Big Daddy, I was hopeing to get someone like you who knows whats what. I do have the stock chain and sprockets on the bike, stock gearing and all. The tire just fits with like a 1/4 inch clearance to the swing arm. I did have to take the rear fender off as it hit on top of the tire. So the rear is just raised and its putting more weight to the front you are saying? I do have stock suspension and the shim should be there, so just take it out and that should help? As you can tell I do not know a whole lot about the suspension on this bike yet. I just got this first of March and been riding it since, awesome bike! Best Kawi has made yet. I think next time I buy some tires I will get me some with the stock tire size. Can the shim be removed without takeing the shock out? I do have manual and will look, just asking if you have tried it before. So then really the suspension should be fine like it was before the tire change, just need to get my geometery back? So I will wait a few for your reply or just go take out shim and see how it goes from there. At any rate, thanks for the advice, I would have been spending countless wasted hours toying with suspension settings. Thanks for the help and any and all replys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-03-2005, 06:34 PM

Posting Frequency

If you aren't getting excessive headshake, and the bike doesn't want to "overfall" or tuck the front, then you should be good.

I'm running stock suspension with the same tires (190/60 sportmax GPs). I have the front forks raised in the clamps by approx 10mm (lowering the front).

basically if the rear is too high and front is too low, bike will feel real twitchy and pull you to the inside of the curb way quicker than you expect. If the exact opposite condition is true, then it will be hard to turn the bike all the way inside and hold a tight line on exit. The bike will feel like the front is pushing outside on the exit and running wide.

Also, if the front is too low and rear is too high, you may get more headshake.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-03-2005, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the input guys. I think I got it figured out now. The bike actually doesn't have any shims in it at all. They must have taken it out when the 180/55 was put on. So at this point I think I am just going to leave it alone. The bike doesn't have any headshake problems or feel like it wants to tuck. It just feels more solid on the road and the rear is raised up a little bit. I just took it for another ride and am getting more used to it, I think the problem is more me than anything, I just need to get used to the size and it will be fine. I have no shim to take out and I don't think the suspension needs to be changed now, I think it works just as good as it did with the 180/55 I only have 100 miles on the new tire and its probably just me. So thanks again.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-04-2005, 12:55 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Keep an eye on the front of your swingarm. Tires grow at speed and if you've only got 1/4" then I would watch for contact. I don't know if the tire will grow that much but if it starts to touch you will want to add a link or two to the chain.

Going through life with blinders on and lovin' it.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-04-2005, 07:57 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

1/4" clearance to the swingarm is not enough at speed. I run this same setup with the 208GP/A 190/60 rear. The chain needs to be longer to clear the swingarm and the hugger. 114 links instead of 110 will make it work (112 might work, but I haven't tried it), as well as effectively lengthing the wheelbase for more stability.

If the shim has already been removed, lowering the rear, then you can soften up rear preload a little to lower it a bit more, if you are experiencing headshake/twitchiness at speed or a tendency for the rear to want to pass the front (or try to tuck) when hard on the brakes.

Great tire, but it is damn-near an inch taller than the stock 190/50...
post #8 of 8 Old 07-05-2005, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Well I am getting used to the tire now and it feels fine, the 1/4 inch I estimated, well I did my best to get a small straight edge in there and its closer to a 1/2 inch of clearance to the swing arm. I did have to take the Rear fender off as the tire would not clear that, but no big deal there. The bike does feel good with this size on it, but I think when I buy a set next, I will go back to the stock size and add the shim back. I have ridden the bike a couple of times and I see no contact to the swing arm from the tire and nothing on the tire, so I am sure I am clearing all areas now, and I do have stock chain, if the bike feels stable and all now, I don't think I need to increase the wheel base anymore, but I did soften the spring preload to the rear a turn and it feels great now. Thanks again to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in