Tire discussion - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-24-2007, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Tire discussion

Shopping tires lately…the time is soon coming to replace the shit stock tires. I have a couple questions about tires I don’t understand. Some of the tires companies have tires made for specific bikes…like there is a tire for the CBR1000 and then a tire for the GSXR. They are the same size, same tire, yet have different part numbers…and then there is a universal of the same size also with a different part number. I don’t get this?

Next, I have narrowed it down to a few choices. I do mainly aggressive street riding, so I want something that sticks well and gets decent milage. Rate the following on a scale of 1-10 and help me decide which to get.

1. BATTLAX BT-002
2. Conti Sport Attack
3. PILOT POWER 2CT
4. Dunlop Qualifiers
5. DIABLO CORSA III

If it smells like cologne, leave it alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-24-2007, 10:16 PM
MIA Ex-Mod

Posting Frequency

The tires made specifically for the named bike is an OEM replacement made to the manufacturers spec, ie: Honda, Suzuki, etc. The difference can be anywhere from tread compound, thickness of the bodyply, angle and thickness of the steel belts, to the nylon cord used to wrap the tire to control expansion. Basically I would stay away from the OEM type numbers and buy the generic numbers. Of course, you never know what you will actually get when you get it.

Ratings:
1.PP2ct
2.BT-002 R/S
3. DC III
4. Qualifiers
5. Conti SA

Tread

2004 PBO zx10-r pazzo, seat cowl, yoshi Ti TRS bolt on, PC3, Speedo-Healer, Hyperpro, Braided lines, 16-40, Sato sets, ZG dark screen, and more.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Accountant in training.

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread70 View Post
The tires made specifically for the named bike is an OEM replacement made to the manufacturers spec, ie: Honda, Suzuki, etc. The difference can be anywhere from tread compound, thickness of the bodyply, angle and thickness of the steel belts, to the nylon cord used to wrap the tire to control expansion. Basically I would stay away from the OEM type numbers and buy the generic numbers. Of course, you never know what you will actually get when you get it.

Tread

My '05 came with D218s. They were.... ok.... They weren't great, they weren't bad. I'd give them a C/C+. I have Qs on now. I love these tires. They seem to suit my riding style. I love the feel and feed back from them. In a few weeks, I'll know how well they work or don't work for me on the track.

Since you don't like the stock Qs. Here is my list for you:

1 BT002
2 PP
3 Diablo III
4 Metzler M3

The top 3 are all interchangeable IMO. Get what you like, not what I or anyone else likes. If you had PP or BT002 on a different bike and liked them, you'll like them on the 10.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-24-2007, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilberts Ti ZX-10R View Post

My '05 came with D218s. They were.... ok.... They weren't great, they weren't bad. I'd give them a C/C+. I have Qs on now. I love these tires. They seem to suit my riding style. I love the feel and feed back from them. In a few weeks, I'll know how well they work or don't work for me on the track.

Since you don't like the stock Qs. Here is my list for you:

1 BT002
2 PP
3 Diablo III
4 Metzler M3

The top 3 are all interchangeable IMO. Get what you like, not what I or anyone else likes. If you had PP or BT002 on a different bike and liked them, you'll like them on the 10.

Chris
i dont know what i like thats why i was asking...first bike and first set of stock tires. just know they are a little slick and the bike about came out from under me a couple times. looking for some opinions of people who have been there and done that.

If it smells like cologne, leave it alone.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-25-2007, 10:31 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Couldnt tell you as I havent ridden with all 5, what I can tell you is that I am on my 4th or 5th set of Qualifiers , 2500 miles on a rear in Florida, but since moving to Pa , I have 3600 on a rear and it is due, the grip level didnt change much from start to finish.

9 out of 10 for the street so long as the street has corners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in