Time for a new Cam chain! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-16-2008, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Time for a new Cam chain!

Okay guys after 28900Kms countless trackdays, sunday rides and daily commutes the zx-10 is starting to moan. She's not as tight as she used to be and needs surgery.

So a new cam chain will be on order soon. Now my mechanic is rather busy and he has suggested that I do it myself. He knows my mechanical background reasonably well and he seems confident I can do it with the manual and basic tools in hand.

I have delved fairly deep into strokers having rebuilt topends and split cases etc, I have also worke on 4 banger traillies street bikes etc but never with the heads.

Should I do it? The mechanic has said he is happy to take it on in bits if at any stage i do feel I'm in over my head.

Also does anyone have a race cam they want to let go cheap? if i'm in there anyway only I can't afford a new one after that absurd price hike

Any comments concerns welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-16-2008, 06:30 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

have you considered a thin head gasket?? a lill compression bump never hurts.

BD

post #3 of 12 Old 01-16-2008, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Yah that was also on the list. I geuss after taking cams out etc it's only that little bit extra to take the head off completely. Does the thin head gasket bring any requirements with it in regards to fuel used due to the higher compression?

Last edited by Mustard; 01-16-2008 at 08:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-16-2008, 12:15 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Yah that was also on the list. I geuss after taking cams out etc it's only that little bit extra to take the head off completely. Does the thin head gasket bring any requirements with it in regards to fuel used due to the higher compression?
My understanding is there's 2 or 3 avail with diff thicknesses but i doubt even the thinnest one will require any special fuel. Whats more important is valve-piston clearance.

BD

post #5 of 12 Old 01-16-2008, 07:36 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to axo250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
I'd put a new head gasket in it if I were you. Just take your time and you will be fine to do it. I would highly suggest marking your cams before you take them out... just draw a line across both of them with arrows pointing outward to make sure you get them lined back up. Just draw it in relate to the top of the head. Also you may wanna consider a valve adjustment while you are there. At least check em, with that many miles it may be time for one. Hell while you're at it, look at a Kawi intake cam and change spark plugs!!! Haha! It's all fairly straight forward stuff with the exception of cam timing.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-16-2008, 07:44 PM

Posting Frequency

it not bad if you take your time.hell if you get stuck you all was got you buddy to get you out of mess.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-17-2008, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Cheers guys! I will do the cam if i can get one soon enough cheap enough. Valve clearances was on the list if i could figure it out. Didn't think of the sparkies but may aswell chuck a few new ones in. Thanks again guys, looks like i better get my bike lift fixed in the next few weeks!
post #8 of 12 Old 01-17-2008, 06:51 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to axo250
You just need a set of gap readers (name?). Same things you use to measure spark plug gap. Its not too complicated to do. I think you could do most of this entirely by yourself. You may need an extra hand every once in a while. Let us know if you need any more help. Good luck with things.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

28000km!!i think it's a little bit early for camchain change...BUT...if you go to www.kawasaki.com and look for the parts diagram,you'llsee that there is a recall for the camchain tensioner and the bolts.Be sure to change this too..as for the inlet cam,i think it's cheap enough('bout 150$).i installed it with STOCK valve spring,0.45 HEAD GASKET,and minor headwork,as tthe race manual says..but i've no idea if the cam only ,works without all the rest
post #10 of 12 Old 01-18-2008, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Cheers guys. Will be ordering the parts this week. And the race parts if they have prices for me. Cheers Mastino will look into the cam chain tensioner too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in