tightening front left valve cover bolt - Gen 1 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-29-2013, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

tightening front left valve cover bolt - Gen 1

Hey guys,
I can't seem to find the answer to this using the search function.
Are you able to access the front left valve cover bolt (the leaky corner) without pulling the tank, airbox, TBs, etc?
I was thinking of trying to slip a washer on the front left bolt and then re-tightening it down (so the bolt won't bottom out) and seeing if that would slow down or stop the valve cover oil leak.
I just don't want to have to pull everything if I can mend the situation more easily.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-29-2013, 06:54 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by slater View Post
Hey guys,
I can't seem to find the answer to this using the search function.
Are you able to access the front left valve cover bolt (the leaky corner) without pulling the tank, airbox, TBs, etc?
I was thinking of trying to slip a washer on the front left bolt and then re-tightening it down (so the bolt won't bottom out) and seeing if that would slow down or stop the valve cover oil leak.
I just don't want to have to pull everything if I can mend the situation more easily.
Thanks.
Wtf, are you serious????? Dude, if you're going to do half ass jobs on big stuff like that, sell your zx10 and get a gixxer or something....or just quit being lazy and fix the problem!

The answer to your question is a definite No. Buy a frickin valve cover gasket they are like $15, download the service manual and use the "how to" section here that has some great writeups, and spend a day with your girl so you can fix her...unless you are one of those people who really dont care about your bike then just ride it till it blows up or something and never get another kawi again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
i could give two shits if you were taking a bubble bath in applesauce being fed grapes by lemurs with electrodes attached to your nipples in the bed of a semi truck, as long as you're not holding up traffic, go for it
post #3 of 6 Old 03-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

The compression of the bolt against the valve cover is not the issue.

Replace the gasket. Do what needs to be done to do it. Yes, you have to tear half of the bike apart to get to it. Deal with it.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-29-2013, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
The compression of the bolt against the valve cover is not the issue.

Replace the gasket. Do what needs to be done to do it. Yes, you have to tear half of the bike apart to get to it. Deal with it.
Thanks GoFaster, I figured I need to replace it which i dont mind doing but I read on here that some people have fixed the issue with the washer setup. So I was wondering what people's thoughts were on that solution. Thanks.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Chickenstrip Eater

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to SUPER K
Quote:
Originally Posted by slater View Post
Thanks GoFaster, I figured I need to replace it which i dont mind doing but I read on here that some people have fixed the issue with the washer setup. So I was wondering what people's thoughts were on that solution. Thanks.
That was a pressure washer, insert at the leaky point and spray until water comes from the base gasket.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/josh10r/IMG_0144-1-1-1.jpg
Sent from your mom's IPhone using dirty fingers
post #6 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 12:07 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

make u a suggestion, only cost about $10 and worth a try. done it many times over the years for oil leaks. can last quite a while to permanetly if done right. superglue it, get a bottle of locktite professional superglue, blue bottle home depot carries it. this brand only. get a can of starting fluid or lacquer thinner, they contain no oils at all, and some large q tips. if u can access the leaking area, clean it perfectly clean and oil free at the rubber gasket, use a rag on finger with solvent. key is getting it clean. solvent will flash dry quickly. apply super glue on q tip until saturated and wipe the leak area with a cple of wet strokes covering the mating surfaces at rubber gasket is sufficient. little is better. cotton q tip and superglue react very quickly to harden so position yourself to wet and swab quickly. lowtech, sounds like bs, but generally effective fix for many small leaks. member on here had oil leak with pics at left corner of engine where engine cases mate. tried this, last response with pics, 2k and still dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in