tick tick tick...Valve time! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-23-2008, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

tick tick tick...Valve time!

I just wanted to know who all has done there own valve adjustments?
I have done them on my Dirt bikes and quads but never on my zx10...if you could post up any helpfull info...that would be SUPER!...lol

are they shim over/shim under?...looking for the valve spec's...and best place to get a shim kit..

thanxs -Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-23-2008, 09:19 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

They're shim under bucket, get a service manual (stickied in perf and tech) and READ it. It's not hard to do...I haven't done it on my 10 yet but have on both the ZX9's I had previously. If you've ever done moto valves the biggest tip I can give you is take your time and don't rush it. The spaces on these bikes to work in are VERY tight...so don't get frustrated with having to move things around or squeeze things out. Search on this forum for posts on valves...I'm sure someone has posted a full writeup (because this forum kicks ass and there are writeups on everything else). Otherwise about the shim kit...I swear someone sells a kit for $80 somewhere..just google motorcycle shims...otherwise try Motion Pro. Good luck...

~Drain Fade
'06 Ebony Black, Supersonic Sport Tourer
A ton of shit....I want the farkles of a Gold Wing on a 150HP bike just over 400lbs ;)
Have a VFR, ZX9R or ZX10R, check out http://drainfade.com
post #3 of 4 Old 04-23-2008, 03:52 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Drain Fade is absolutely correct. Take your time that is probably the best advise in adjusting vavles. As far as tips go there are really no short cuts or quick ways around this one. When remoiving the cam caps loosen all cap bolts evenly. The cams are hollow and could very easily snap. Same with install. Install and torque the bolts evenly. Also get the correct torque specs and correctly torque them down. Get new gaskets for the valve cover and tube grommets. Last thing you would want is for a leak after you just put everything back together. Get a digital caliper and a set of feeler guages specific for valves. Your local dealership should have the shims in stock. It is shim under bucket and it uses the really small shims. Trust me a digital caliper when trying to measure the shims is a must. Also the specs should be in the PDF manual you can download off of this forum. Good luck man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
hotcams makes a shim kit its the 7.49mm kit......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in