Gen 5: 2016- Thinner Head Gasket with Pump Gas? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old 08-10-2018, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Thinner Head Gasket with Pump Gas?

Does anyone have experience running a thinner than stock (0.85mm) head gasket on pump gas with a Gen5?

I'm curious as to how low I can go without race fuel, as I'm not racing - just lots of track days, and I don't want the hassle/cost.

I've measured my squish dimension, and it's 0.99mm. Race kit manual says optimal is 0.65mm. So, to get close I'd go to the 0.55mm gasket, but I don't want detonation problems.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 08-10-2018, 02:14 PM
gaz
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

just inquiring, u sure that stk head gasket .85mm, all previous gens were .65mm. so deck height on ur motor only .005-.006? dont have experience with gen 5 but lots with previous gens. my std street 10 builds are .45mm hg and .015 head mill. run on pump gas no problems. my 07 has .45hg and head milled .028, does fine as long as ur moving but not a red light/stop and go traffic bike anymore. ur not gonna detonate or overheat at that suggested minimium squish on pump gas doing what u do. just surprised at those numbers. if correct going from close to .040 squish to less than .030, bike gonna really wake up everywhere in powerband. btw, tightening the squish helps prevent detonation.

Last edited by gaz; 08-10-2018 at 02:37 PM.
post #3 of 49 Old 08-11-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
just inquiring, u sure that stk head gasket .85mm, all previous gens were .65mm. so deck height on ur motor only .005-.006? dont have experience with gen 5 but lots with previous gens. my std street 10 builds are .45mm hg and .015 head mill. run on pump gas no problems. my 07 has .45hg and head milled .028, does fine as long as ur moving but not a red light/stop and go traffic bike anymore. ur not gonna detonate or overheat at that suggested minimium squish on pump gas doing what u do. just surprised at those numbers. if correct going from close to .040 squish to less than .030, bike gonna really wake up everywhere in powerband. btw, tightening the squish helps prevent detonation.
You are correct, sir. The Gen4 race kit manual shows .65mm as the stock head gasket dimension. However, for whatever reason, the Gen5 manual shows that .85mm is stock (see image).

Thanks for the feedback, gents. Still hoping to hear from someone who's done the mod on a Gen5, but if I don't I'll just take the plunge and go with the .55mm gasket. If it doesn't work out, I'll just have to swap back. PITA, but not the worst thing ever. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 11.55.06 AM.png
Views:	82
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	419367  
badassjake and TheRoadWarrior like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 Old 08-12-2018, 07:40 AM
gaz
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

good info, learn something new everyday. .55mm will be good choice and work well no problems. great mod for power.
CanyonCarver likes this.
post #5 of 49 Old 08-22-2018, 07:10 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonCarver View Post
Does anyone have experience running a thinner than stock (0.85mm) head gasket on pump gas with a Gen5?

I'm curious as to how low I can go without race fuel, as I'm not racing - just lots of track days, and I don't want the hassle/cost.

I've measured my squish dimension, and it's 0.99mm. Race kit manual says optimal is 0.65mm. So, to get close I'd go to the 0.55mm gasket, but I don't want detonation problems.

I'm getting ready to build a super stock spec engine on my 2018. Is your bike the R or RR?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #6 of 49 Old 08-22-2018, 11:49 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonCarver View Post

The Thai Kawasaki racing team mechanics used the 0.65mm head gasket when they built my Superstock engine and itís ran good on 95RON pump. You might be going a little to thin with a 0.55mm head gasket and risking PTV clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CanyonCarver likes this.
post #7 of 49 Old 08-23-2018, 07:57 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

As with all builds you should measure before you send it.

post #8 of 49 Old 08-23-2018, 08:22 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
The Thai Kawasaki racing team mechanics used the 0.65mm head gasket when they built my Superstock engine and itís ran good on 95RON pump. You might be going a little to thin with a 0.55mm head gasket and risking PTV clearance.

Going thin on the head gasket will reduce P to V clearance, however this shouldn't be the primary concern. Narrowing the gasket is general used to reduce the squish area ( Piston to head ) to control the available space in which the burn can spread before pushing the piston. Anyway if it's to tight the piston will tap the head and unload the ring reducing power and possible damage. If it's loose then the flame will travel to these areas before pushing the piston and cause a loss of power. Get it just right and make the best power.

CanyonCarver and gaz like this.
post #9 of 49 Old 08-23-2018, 09:10 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Thinner Head Gasket with Pump Gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsteinnewyork View Post
Going thin on the head gasket will reduce P to V clearance, however this shouldn't be the primary concern. Narrowing the gasket is general used to reduce the squish area ( Piston to head ) to control the available space in which the burn can spread before pushing the piston. Anyway if it's to tight the piston will tap the head and unload the ring reducing power and possible damage. If it's loose then the flame will travel to these areas before pushing the piston and cause a loss of power. Get it just right and make the best power.

Thanks for the explanation..lol

Stock Cam timing works with 0.65mm headgasket if you go thinner youíll probably have to adjust timing to have the proper PTV clearance. As already posted and from the manual, the squish should be fine with 0.55mm.

Last edited by Newf; 08-23-2018 at 09:13 PM.
post #10 of 49 Old 08-24-2018, 01:50 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I can confirm, 0.55mm squish is safe. The reason squish can be tighter 2011 onwards is the connecting rods are better designed resulting in less rod stretch. I have built 4 motors with 2011 rods onwards with exactly 0.55 squish, all were built to rev up to 14.0000 and I can confirm without doubt there has been no piston to head contact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in