Gen 5: 2016- Thinner Head Gasket with Pump Gas? - Page 5 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 49 Old 11-26-2018, 04:29 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Going 0.021 (0.53mm) based on my experiences is going too give you piston to head contact. Its also extremely difficult to measure accurately in 0.05mm increments, you also need to do this on all four cylinders as 0.05mm difference is found across the 4. In the past i have had the head skimmed 0.1mm shallow of where i want to be, then reassembled remeasured and then taken the head away to get the last 0.1mm off, you also have to remember that if 0.05mm is out from the skim that'll also -UCK you up. That happened to me recently and i ended up running a 0.5mm gasket instead of a 0.45mm.
SpazOnaZX and gaz like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 Old 11-26-2018, 05:38 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
cast pistons? what engine are u building?
Its a mutt/frankenstein engine im using a 77mm flatop stock cast piston with already 31mm valve reliefs. Thats all i can say. Its allmotor grudge bike. Billet is only needed for power adders, unfortunately nobody makes oversized cast pistons.
michael4012 likes this.
post #43 of 49 Old 11-27-2018, 08:42 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

As long as you don't rattle it... cast pistons really don't take kindly to shock loads or pre-ignition... the little piece of ring land below the intake pocket likes to break off and and play patty-cake with the valves.... ask me how I know. But contrary to popular belief, they are damn strong... and they tend to deal with temperature and heat better than their forged counterparts.
CanyonCarver likes this.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 11-27-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 49 Old 11-27-2018, 02:49 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazOnaZX View Post
As long as you don't rattle it... cast pistons really don't take kindly to shock loads or pre-ignition... the little piece of ring land below the intake pocket likes to break off and and play patty-cake with the valves.... ask me how I know. But contrary to popular belief, they are damn strong... and they tend to deal with temperature and heat better than their forged counterparts.
Hey man we're on the same page. I've seen 05 06 Gsxr1000 do the exact same thing you described. Just broke off like a cookie, and didn't even damage the cylinder walls. OEM parts are far superior to aftermarket in my opinion. Who can compete with Kawasak R&D, some mortal with a 3 axis CNC and a block of aluminum. There is a joke in a superbike shop in britain about billet. They use it for doorstops because their heavy. It has its place for sure, but not everywhere. Carbon and cast parts where applicable are superior in weight.
post #45 of 49 Old 11-28-2018, 08:44 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Usually the superiority in aftermarket parts is it allows folks to stand on the shoulders of giants... it's easy(er) to improve upon greatness than create it from scratch. That being said, OEM stuff is 99.99% a compromise of greatness VS cost, so there is generally more than enough room for improvement in a lot of places..... if you're willing to pay for it.

Having done a little bit of building shit from scratch, my buddies and I have a few jokes about 'billet' as well.... on more than one occasion I've asked random fellows about the construction material/alloy for a shiny new part, and I get 'Billet' back as an answer more times than not. We've started playing along at this point. "Oh cool, that must be the new T-7 billet, right?" or "Cool man, billet must be so much stronger than regular metal". Fun stuff.
michael4012 likes this.

post #46 of 49 Old 11-28-2018, 11:48 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

post #47 of 49 Old 11-29-2018, 02:28 PM
gaz
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazOnaZX View Post
cast pistons won't like hitting the head either. not knocking ur build john, just cautioning that .021 pth. gains from tightening squish are exponential, tightening a stk busa from .048-.050 to .032 nets some substancial hp/torque gains, from a very tight .024 to .021 is going to be miniscule, not worth gain if any/risk in my opinion.

Last edited by gaz; 11-30-2018 at 01:04 PM.
post #48 of 49 Old 12-24-2018, 10:56 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
cast pistons won't like hitting the head either.

post #49 of 49 Old 12-25-2018, 08:10 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
cast pistons won't like hitting the head either. not knocking ur build john, just cautioning that .021 pth. gains from tightening squish are exponential, tightening a stk busa from .048-.050 to .032 nets some substancial hp/torque gains, from a very tight .024 to .021 is going to be miniscule, not worth gain if any/risk in my opinion.
i think you meant "diminishing" not "exponential" ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in