Gen 1: 2004-2005 think i hurt my motor - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-12-2011, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

think i hurt my motor

well last night i was doing a couple pulls and first one was great but im pretty sure i over revved it and my limiter didnt kick in for some reason, when i looked down it was almost 14krpm....well after that is felt very slow and is making alot more noise than the reg kawi tick, its deffinantly down on power now, before i knew it was hurt i ran my buddys gsxr1k and zx14, lets just say they both put a bus on me when before we were all dead nuts....so what am i looking at price wise to get a motor redone i guess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatermckimm View Post
so what am i looking at price wise to get a motor redone i guess
There are some members on here that are selling used motors for about $800... Other than that... you'd have to diagnose your actual problem before thinking you need an engine replacement. That's about the best ball park I can give you without knowing what is really wrong with your motor.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Gen2 Ripper

Posting Frequency

Don't panic just yet. Change the oil and look at the plugs first to see if there is any damage to a plug from contact. You, worst case, floated a valve or spun a bearing but it would be making a LOT of noise.There would be metal in your oil too. How long did you stay in the limiter? Most on here have bounced the limiter including myself. A few seconds shouldn't blow the motor and the stock tach is high reading.
If you dropped a valve, plugs would indicate that. Start with fresh oil and ride it and see if engine noise gets worse. These Kawi motors are so noisy it's hard to tell if there's a problem. It's the silent running motors you gotta watch for.

07-ZX10R-SOLD
, 1/5th insert, -1/+5,comp werkes decatted,PC3+multi-hub,piperX,30 dry shot,2custom maps,Ballistic EVO2,Pazzo shorties,SATO rearsets,HealTech,ZG Corsa,EBC XC Gen3 rotors,Vesrah pads, SS lines, Gen3 calipers, etc and stretched 8" so it won't flip
05-ZRX1200R-sold
04-KX500-sold
1975 RD350-garage queen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-12-2011, 05:34 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=92387

Sounds like what happened to my motor but I bumped the limiter. The motor ran ok for a while longer. I noticed soon after though that it was noisy and seemed down on power. I took it in for diagnosis and it turned out that I broke 3 valve spring retainers, 3 springs and damaged valve guides. Rebuild cost for the head was $1700. I basicly rebuilt the entire intake side with all new parts and replaced the exhaust sides retainers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjeR View Post
I'm glad I'm a stripper, the money keeps coming in! lol
post #5 of 5 Old 06-12-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

this sounds just like it, i also noticed it was like sputtereing while holding steady rpm like onramp/off ramp in 2nd at 45mph it would surge and spudder a little, im gonna tear into it a little tomorrow and if that is the problem then it will be going in for warranty work then cuz that should easily be covered by warranty id imagine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in