Tech Question - Coolant - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-04-2010, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Tech Question - Coolant

Hey fellas,

So here is the scoop.

Last night I rode downtown - (St. Louis) to watch some fireworks. And of course any big city driving downtown is stop and go so I knew my bike would get hot...its a given.

I saw temps up to 215...which sitting in traffic i figured it would get so hot,

As I'm sitting there I start smelling coolant, and at first i didn't pay any attention to it because i figured if it was me, id notice temp changes in the bike...

well come to find it was me, i was leaking coolant right where the oil drain plug is from the res overflow tube is, not sure if it was leaking out of there but by the looks of the marks it was coming out of there and getting all over.

Now, I thought to my self, man if i had a leak it would be a lot more than this, it was about a "cup" full(measuring cup size).

I checked my resevor and it was at the full mark, which didn't make sense to me.

I pull over let the bike cool down, check the tank again and it looked fine, when i switch the bike on started it up, it sucked that resevor dry.

So i pulled into a gas station and bought some coolant and filled up the resevor so it had some.

At this point I'm trying to head home so i don't have to leave my bike down town. After I fill up the resevor, it starts leaking again...(this was about 10 min later) and once again i was sitting in traffic.

My question is, at a certain temp does the bike push out some of the coolant because there is to much in there?

Is what I described normal?

I usually don't have my bike in those kind of temps so I wasn't sure if it was ok or not.

I checked all my hoses today and they are all fine. I ended up pulling the radiator off because it is bent. I inspected there are no cracks on it or any spots where it may have been leaking(I'm looking to replace it if anyone has an extra)

Any thoughts?

Bike:
07 - ZX10R - Black(fastest) 2T-R Dual Exhaust.
other rides:
01 - Camaro Z28 - bolt ons :) - RIP :(
2010 - 2SS Manual - Black with Inferno Orange

Last edited by dlizzle8; 07-04-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

No that is not normal. You said it was leaking by the oil drain plug. I assume you already took the lower fairings off. Make sure you clean the area around were you're searching for a leak. The water pump is close to the oil drain plug, so check it out first. With the fairings off and the area clean, start the bike and wait till it gets hot. Start checking around for your leak. Shouldn't be that hard to find.

05 green ZX10R,Akrappovic Evo 2 Carbon w/ hex shorty can full exhaust system,Power Commander USB,Radial front master cylinder(636),Goodridge front and rear carboline brake lines,07 CBR1000RR front brake calipers,Vesrah race front brake pads,Targa tail kit,flush mount front signals,Cabon fiber led rear signals,Ohlins steering dampers,-1 front,Speedo Healer, Pilot Power tires,Gipro Tre and gold Sato's rearsets.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-04-2010, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

sorry, let me restate...

it was draining by the oil drain plug where the coolant resevor overflow tube is

Bike:
other rides:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-04-2010, 03:35 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Maybe a cracked hose since its coming from there or check the drain plug on the water pump and make sure thats tight! Probably not a big deal, just a leak somewhere. +1 to what Daves cycles said!!

post #5 of 13 Old 07-04-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

where is the waterpump drain plug located at?

also what kind of coolant should I use.

I pulled off the radiator so I drained all the coolant that was in the radiator..im sure there may be some in the block still.

I just find it odd that it didn't leak all of the coolant out, and when i refilled it, i was driving around for a bit longer than it leaked again at high temps...

i guess it shouldn't ever do that....

Bike:
other rides:
post #6 of 13 Old 07-04-2010, 04:06 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

post #7 of 13 Old 07-04-2010, 04:07 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Definitely strange but until you locate where it leaked its gonna be hard to diagnose

post #8 of 13 Old 07-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Licensed Dist of HaterAde

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to TMY10ER
Wouldn't be a bad idea to have the radiator pressure tested before putting it back on IF you're gonna have the bike down for a couple days till you find the main source of the leak?

Take a risk, and you may lose. Never risk, and you will always lose.

post #9 of 13 Old 07-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMY10ER View Post
Wouldn't be a bad idea to have the radiator pressure tested before putting it back on IF you're gonna have the bike down for a couple days till you find the main source of the leak?

I am getting ready to replace the thermostat but at that time I am also going to do a complete pressure check of the system.

You can rent a pressure test kit at AutoZone....with this tester you can see where the leaks are around 20lbs of pressure especially the Weep Hole under the Water Pump by the Oil Drain plug(hint hint).

I am also going to try out at the same time Harbor Frieghts Pressure Tester. It lists for $79.99 on sale for $59.99 and add a 20% discount coupon got it for $52 OTD. I don't know if it has the right adapters yet but will update if anyone is interested with my findings.

bloo
post #10 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 06:47 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

If you overheat, the coolant will boil out of the radiator and overflow the reservoir tank. When the engine cools the steam in the radiator condenses and it'll pull coolant back out of the reservoir. Could be you're overheating (probably due to a stuck thermostat or your fan not coming on) or the radiator cap is out of spec.

BTW, when you fill the coolant tank, don't use 100% antifreeze. It doesn't cool as well as 50/50 and it can foam in the radiator and cause overheating. Dilute antifreeze with equal parts of distilled water. Tap water is OK in a pinch.

Green '04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in