Gen 2: 2006-2007 Swing Arm extension failure??? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Swing Arm extension failure???

hey has any one experienced this? This the second set that i have had the problem with. Once on the zx9 and now on the zx10. Both bikes have about
8k-12k miles on them before failure. The zx9 i figgured it was because of chain breaking while doing burn-outs and while agressive street riding. The ZX10 has had abiut 30 trips down the track and some serious twisty street miles. (8k-10k). I regularly clean bike after every ride and inspect things, and clean bike up, oil chain, ect, just general mantaince. On both bikes only chain side had a problem. Brak sides ok.
Both bikes no issue while riding, after sitting on jack stands for a few days noticed cracked extension. I check ovr bikes after every ride..Like to keep them clean any ideas???

Last edited by BlkCasper; 03-25-2011 at 01:22 AM. Reason: updated pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 01:55 AM
Dont mess wit White Ninja

Posting Frequency

You get what you pay for~(there off ebay right)! If your really looking to use the bike, buy a swing arm! Other than that, raise her back up and use the bike.

Good luck man, sorry to hear about your problem!

ps this is about the 10th person I've heard of breaking extensions
post #3 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 02:15 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Cheap parts. I don't like weld-on arms, looking at the design of that one, wonder how many crap parts like that caused an innocent rider to crash..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Hmm..Not an ebay knock off, was purchased from exotic cycles, but then again there probally made more for drag racing, than carving up the curves, I like the extended look, and do some 1/4 mile runs at the strip, and a lot of twisy back roads. A fulll swing arm not in the budget rite now. Plus i had a few track days planned and bolt ons make it easy to change back and forth. Just wondering if any ones else had same issues. Plus i've put about 8k-10k miles on theses in the last 8-10 months.

Last edited by BlkCasper; 03-25-2011 at 02:49 AM. Reason: updated info
post #5 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 02:51 AM
Dont mess wit White Ninja

Posting Frequency

Like I said above, your like the 10th person I've heard that has broke a set of these.

It is what it is, buy another set and call it that, if it happens again, it happens. I bet those extensions aren't doing anything for you if your hitting corners! And why not just run swb at the strip! Sounds like you need to just put her back to stock, hit a few track days and call it that!
post #6 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 02:53 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Oh wow, didn't notice they were bolt on's, the design makes more sense now...Didn't mean to sound like I'm bashing you or anything...I get the cool factor of being able to take them off and on, but I get the idea if you buy them, you take the risk of something like this...
post #7 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 06:50 AM
Gen2 Ripper

Posting Frequency

Those extensions fit inside the arm like shit man. There's all kinds of gaps that surely allow the ext to rock up and down and the thin design where they are supposed to tightly fit in the arm adds to the liklihood of failure.
I got over a year now on my myrtle west extensions. I drag race and rip the back roads though Im no knee dragger. My links fit in my arm with mallet taps and are equal thickness all the way back. Also are solid billet except the drilled hole for the adjustment bolt. My extensions are weldable and Myrtle West offers to do the welding if you send the arm to them. Honestly, your links look like POS. I've hit potholes that I thought surely damaged some part of my bike and my extensions never shifted because they can't cause there's no room for movement and are eveN dovetailed into the arm''s axle slot.
post #8 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 11:59 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCasper View Post
hey has any one experienced this? This the second set that i have had the problem with. Once on the zx9 and now on the zx10. Both bikes have about
8k-12k miles on them before failure. The zx9 i figgured it was because of chain breaking while doing burn-outs and while agressive street riding. The ZX10 has had abiut 30 trips down the track and some serious twisty street miles. (8k-10k). I regularly clean bike after every ride and inspect things, and clean bike up, oil chain, ect, just general mantaince. On both bikes only chain side had a problem. Brak sides ok.
Both bikes no issue while riding, after sitting on jack stands for a few days noticed cracked extension. I check ovr bikes after every ride..Like to keep them clean any ideas???
sorry to hear about this but those extensions you got are the Yana Shinki (crap) your lucky you got 8-10k out of them without breaking on you. do a search alot of people have had problems with there extensions. if you go back to extensions i highly recomend myrtle west, exotic cycle or roaring toyz.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Shorty's Performance

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to madnessracing Send a message via MSN to madnessracing
Give them a call and complain about it!! I had the same set on my 14 and never had a problem I dont know.
post #10 of 25 Old 03-26-2011, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah i know lots of people that have the same extension's that i've used, from drag racers to just the bling crowd that haven't had the problem i've had. After futher inspection and measuring against a friends set from roaring toyz and another set form allthings chrome. Design and fit of extesions are fine. Olny thing I can conclude is that since i also do alot of agressive street riding more stress is put on the drive side. Brake side has extra support by the brake hanger bracket. Drive side doesn't, Needs a longer support bar on the inside to help minimize flex. Probally why I've only seen problem on drive side.
Gonna try another set/style till i can get arm made the way i like.

Last edited by BlkCasper; 03-26-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: update info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in