Suspicious KLANG sound... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-05-2007, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Unhappy Suspicious KLANG sound...

Hello fellow pilots,

Before some days i posted problem with my clutch.Now everything is ok,new clutch disks(not the metallic ones),new springs and Castrol superbike Oil 10-40 semi synthetic.everything ok?NO.when my bike warms,from 80 to 100 Celsius temp,in first gear while i open the trottle between 2,500 to 4000 rpm,i hear an annoying,sudden KLANG sound.I f i close the trottle and open it again between the same rpm's,the same sound occurs again and again...I am very nervous cause just in case its gearbox failure.i think that also in second gear,same rpm there is the same sound.Is there any possibility to be the root of the sound the metallic disks that i didnt changed??My bike has 23.700km.Please,if somebody knows the answer to the problem or had the same sound from his bike sometime,i would be very impatient to read his answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-05-2007, 11:39 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

is the chain properly adjusted with 1.5' of play??? dbl check 4-5 different places as you rotate the wheel.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-05-2007, 11:59 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

I havent really looked at the slipper clutch on these puppies in too much detail , but on others I have seen (well heard) them do that , but like BD says if there is a lot of slack in your chain you can get a clank, not a clang ( the clang being more resonant..LOL)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-05-2007, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Correction to my post.I tried to notice better so...it sounds even if the bike isnt warm,and only at 2500 rpm with 1st gear,not 2nd.Also,my chain has to be adjusted over 3000km...just sprayin every week.I would really fell in love with the idea to be a chain sound!!!!
post #5 of 13 Old 08-05-2007, 05:00 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

I would say your chain needs adjusting .
post #6 of 13 Old 08-05-2007, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

i will go her to the mechanic with the first opportunity my friend!But if the sound will not stop,i will suicide!
post #7 of 13 Old 08-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to SalKhan Send a message via Yahoo to SalKhan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
1.5' of play???
I think one-and-half-feet of play is a bit excessive, don't you?

Can you feel it at all? Does the bike jerk forward or stumble/stutter at all? Or is it just a sound?

Also, how are the teeth on the sprockets? May want to pop the chain off quick and inspect them. Sometimes they may look ok but if they're stubbed or worn unevenly, it may cause something similar? But you would feel that through the bike as well.

My Aprilia Mille used to do something similar to what you're explaining, but only when I tried to start it on occasion. Had to do with the starter sprag clutch. Probably not what you're experiencing, but just trying to eliminate stuff.

Sal Khan

http://www.thelunchjournals.com - Updated 3/8/08!

Last edited by SalKhan; 08-05-2007 at 06:31 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-05-2007, 08:32 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I think I have a similar sound. I just adjusted my chain today and it seems like it's still doing it but may be a different sound I'm hearing. I will check it again next time I take it out. Mine does it if I go some in first, then pull in the clutch, then rev it a bit it makes a clanking sound which I figured would be slack in the chain. That went away but it still does another thing that sounds like what you might be experiencing.

"You can't trust anyone, not even your own asshole; sometimes you think you're gonna fart and you sh*t."
post #9 of 13 Old 08-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to SalKhan Send a message via Yahoo to SalKhan
Quote:
Originally Posted by themightymezzo View Post
I think I have a similar sound. I just adjusted my chain today and it seems like it's still doing it but may be a different sound I'm hearing. I will check it again next time I take it out. Mine does it if I go some in first, then pull in the clutch, then rev it a bit it makes a clanking sound which I figured would be slack in the chain. That went away but it still does another thing that sounds like what you might be experiencing.
Oooooooooh.

Are you feeling anything in your clutch lever when you do this?

I have a slight feeling it might be the slipper clutch your feeling.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the chain is even a bit loose, I think the slipper clutch likes to act funny?

Maybe to experiment, give yourself just 1/2" slack and ride 2-4 miles, see how it feels?

Again, I'm new to slippers but I think I felt the same thing. If it's the same, it used to do it when I did 2nd gear clutch wheelies.

Sal Khan

http://www.thelunchjournals.com - Updated 3/8/08!
post #10 of 13 Old 08-05-2007, 08:50 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I think it sounds like it's coming from the clutch side too...I hope it's nothing with the clutch. I haven't had the best luck so far with the bike. My first bike I got was a 2000 ZX-6R from a dealer who fixed salvaged bikes and sold them and never had any problems. I bought my 05 10R from what I thought was a reputable (sp?) dealer and seems like I've had more problems...you'd think it'd be the opposite.

Anyway I definitely will look into it but I'm crossing my fingers it's not anything to do with the clutch. I may feel something in the lever I will have to check. I bought it with like 5900 miles and who knows what the guy before me did with it but I ride hard sometimes but don't do any wheelies with it at all...well not yet so I haven't been abusing it bad.

(Sorry to threadjack somewhat)

"You can't trust anyone, not even your own asshole; sometimes you think you're gonna fart and you sh*t."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in